Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

Posted by   + Show Post

As reported in depth by Lexington NBC affiliate LEX18, Whitley County High (Whitley County, Kent.) cross country runner Codie Thacker voluntarily forfeited her spot in a regional championship race after her coach drew bib number 666 for the runner. Thacker and her coach argued that she should be allowed to switch her number, but race officials refused the request.

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Those officials would later deny that Thacker claimed she needed to change bib numbers for religious reasons, though the junior insists she was explicit about her motivation. To her, running with the number 666 on her chest would have signified a serious breach in her faith.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

The result was a third straight season where the cross country runner has fallen just short of the state meet, even though she had aggressively trained for the regional championship race since June. Thacker had hoped to earn headlines for her performance on the trails. Now she's getting attention for something else entirely.

Perhaps the only person who wasn't stunned by Thacker's exit from the regional meet was her coach, Gina Croley, who was the first person to see the number assigned to the runner.

"I saw it and I was like, 'whoa,'" she said. "I don't think she will wear that number."

This is pure idiocy....it's a NUMBER

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would like to know why another number could not have been drawn for her.  Not saying I disagree with that not being done but what would it have hurt?

Obviously her coach knew she would never wear it.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

"Running with the Devil" by Van Halen...enough said

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

"Running with the Devil" by Van Halen...enough said

lol
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM
5 moms liked this

devilicious

lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I first heard about 666 when I saw The Omen with Gregory Peck about 30 years ago.
I don't care ..... I still think making decisions based on superstitions is self defeating .
God didn't make that up. People did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Now I got that song in my head "666 the number of the beast"!  Funny my husband is painting a scene from the Apocalypse right now for an art show and it's of the 7 headed beast that is supposed to come out of the ocean during the final days and I tried to research the beast's name and turns out it's actually 666.  Or that is the numerical equivalent to a name that can not be spoken, whatever the fuck that means. I always wondered what they meant by 666 being the # of the beast.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

devilicious

Hahahah! That's funny.  

There are people that come in to my store and if their total ends up being 6.66, they will purchase something else to change the total.  Thankfully not one of my employees makes fun of them.  I'm waiting for some one to say some thing one day.  Automatic write up if they dare to.  

KaleaLani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I think this is silly on several fronts. First, that she worked hard to get there then gave it up because of a piece of vinyl (?) With a number on it. Second, for the officials that would not allow her to switch numbers. Seriously how hard is it to realize that some people are superstitious and would not appreciate being forced to wear "666" or even "13"? Why not remove them altogether from the list like they do in buildings? Lots of buildings have no 13th floor listed.

She could have used this as an opportunity to say that her faith in her god and herself could overcome the negative juju attached to the number. Instead she chose to quit. Of course, on the flip side - if she lost she could blame it on the devil. Oh well. She has to live with the "what ifs" I guess.
lyranightshade
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I'm embarassed to be a Kentuckian. *sigh*

This is just... absurd. Whatever. Hope she doesn't regret her decision for oh, say, the rest of her life. :/

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the funny thing is it's not.  It's the name of one of two beasts that come out of the ocean during the Apocalypse.  Nothing having to do with the devil from what I found when I looked it up.  I think it's god that is sending the beasts not a devil.  People just fear what they are told to fear even if there is zero reality involved.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Do any other Christians feel this way?  I mean, I know that 666 is supposed to represent the devil ... but we have lots of Christians on here.  Would you have refused to wear it?  Does it talk about this # in the bible?  Does anyone honestly (if you believe in god) believe that he would forsake you if you ran a race with that bib number?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN