Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Army veteran banned from daughter’s school for photo of concealed weapons permit

Posted by   + Show Post

An Army veteran in Georgia is outraged after her daughter’s school banned her from campus because she posted a photo of her concealed weapons license on Facebook.

Tanya Mount said she is being targeted by the principal of McBean Elementary School in Hephzibah, where her disabled daughter attends. According to the mother, who volunteers at the school, she was approached by a police officer from the Richmond County Board of Education and was warned that she was about to get a criminal trespass warning, WRDW-TV reported.

SEE ALSO: Colorado gun advocates, fresh off wins, launch 3rd recall

“He tells me that ‘We’re going to issue you a criminal trespass warning,’” she recalls the officer as saying. “‘The principal is scared of you and she doesn’t want you on the grounds.’ I ask for what? And he asks, ‘Were you in the Army?’ and I said, yes. He’s like, ‘Do you have a concealed weapons permit?’ I said, yes.”

Miss Mount said she was ultimately banned because she posted a picture of her new concealed weapons permit on her Facebook page.

“I feel like a criminal. I want to be heard. I want a public apology,” she told the station.

“I am a private person. However, after serving OUR country, it is my DUTY to make sure that our lives are not infringed upon. However, do it all within the confinements of the LAW, I am a law-abiding citizen,” Miss Mount posted on Facebook, Fox News reported.

Principal Janina Dallas confirmed that a “no trespass order” was issued over the Facebook post, WJBF-TV reported.

“It is my duty and responsibility as the principal of this school to ensure the safety and security of all of our faculty, staff and students,” she told the station.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM
How sad
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really get it.  The woman has a legal consent to carry permit, and that got her banned?  Because the principal is scared?

I'll be first to say I'm not a gun person, and I hate the idea of concealed carry.  But it's legal.  And as long as she doesn't bring a gun into a gun-free zone, what exactly did she do wrong? 

Am I missing something??

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM
How is she a private person if shes on facebook?
The school board has police officers?
WTH,
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

This is asinine.

Completely and totally stupid.

Guess I should be barred from my daughter's campus. 

SMH

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Just read the other article posted.

My goodness.  There is nothing wrong with her having posted this on her FB feed. 

The Principal, in my opinion, over reacted and seems to have some unhealthy fears of her own.  I hope she does not project those on to her staff and students.

How the hell is what they did even legal to begin with.

Wow.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Nothing surprises me anymore

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Yes, VERY scary, how TERRIFYING.  Yeah. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

I would like to see the actual photograph she posted.  I admit I'm skeptical of anything the Washington Times runs as they are known for twisting facts and flat out lying.  

\

"Rule of thumb is if it lets you carry it in a purse, it's not a dog; it's a proximity alarm that refuses to be housebroken." -- Cracked.com

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

This is absolutely riduculous.  The principle is not protecting the students by spreading fear and mistreating law abiding citizens.  She should be removed from her position.

lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
She says she is "a private person". Why did she post a photo of her permit on Facebook then ? She made herself a public person with a gun permit. That's a little bit unwise. She could appear to be threatening by making a point of that permit.
People and guns... SMH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Did you post a photo of your permit on Facebook ?
That's the issue. She says she's a private person.....she's not. She wants attention. She could appear threatening to people.
Just sayin'

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This is asinine.

Completely and totally stupid.

Guess I should be barred from my daughter's campus. 

SMH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)