Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Army veteran banned from daughter’s school for photo of concealed weapons permit

Posted by   + Show Post

An Army veteran in Georgia is outraged after her daughter’s school banned her from campus because she posted a photo of her concealed weapons license on Facebook.

Tanya Mount said she is being targeted by the principal of McBean Elementary School in Hephzibah, where her disabled daughter attends. According to the mother, who volunteers at the school, she was approached by a police officer from the Richmond County Board of Education and was warned that she was about to get a criminal trespass warning, WRDW-TV reported.

SEE ALSO: Colorado gun advocates, fresh off wins, launch 3rd recall

“He tells me that ‘We’re going to issue you a criminal trespass warning,’” she recalls the officer as saying. “‘The principal is scared of you and she doesn’t want you on the grounds.’ I ask for what? And he asks, ‘Were you in the Army?’ and I said, yes. He’s like, ‘Do you have a concealed weapons permit?’ I said, yes.”

Miss Mount said she was ultimately banned because she posted a picture of her new concealed weapons permit on her Facebook page.

“I feel like a criminal. I want to be heard. I want a public apology,” she told the station.

“I am a private person. However, after serving OUR country, it is my DUTY to make sure that our lives are not infringed upon. However, do it all within the confinements of the LAW, I am a law-abiding citizen,” Miss Mount posted on Facebook, Fox News reported.

Principal Janina Dallas confirmed that a “no trespass order” was issued over the Facebook post, WJBF-TV reported.

“It is my duty and responsibility as the principal of this school to ensure the safety and security of all of our faculty, staff and students,” she told the station.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM
It's always risky to post unusual photos on Facebook. See what happened? Someone was frightened..

Quoting Bethsunshine:

She wasn't threatening anyone. Besides, as an Army veteran, one could easily assume that she is trained in using firearms so just by saying she is an Army veteran would that also be perceived as a threat?

Quoting lga1965:

Having a permit is not a problem. When she put a photo of it on Facebook, she made it a problem. Who does something like that ? She might as well say "okay now I am armed so you'd better watch out"

Quoting soonergirl980:

Having a concealed weapons permit is not threatening people. It's a piece of paper.

People and their irrational fear of a piece of paper SMH.

Quoting lga1965:

She says she is "a private person". Why did she post a photo of her permit on Facebook then ? She made herself a public person with a gun permit. That's a little bit unwise. She could appear to be threatening by making a point of that permit.

People and guns... SMH.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I don't care what she did. But posting things like that is a problem when it's on Facebook. See what happened ?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Its one thing if she's holding her gun up WITH the permit with a handwritten note saying "Muahahaaa the kids at school better be skeered NOW" vs. simply a picture of her permit. If we allow Principal's to make parental judgement calls on parents, do Mormon Principals next get to ban every parent from campus that posts a picture of them drinking booze?

Quoting lga1965:

I never said it was true. But she's really taking a chance posting stuff like that on Facebook.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

Having a permit is not a problem. When she put a photo of it on Facebook, she made it a problem. Who does something like that ? She might as well say "okay now I am armed so you'd better watch out"

Quoting soonergirl980:

Having a concealed weapons permit is not threatening people. It's a piece of paper.

Quoting lga1965:

She says she is "a private person". Why did she post a photo of her permit on Facebook then ? She made herself a public person with a gun permit. That's a little bit unwise. She could appear to be threatening by making a point of that permit.

People and guns... SMH.

That is what you think she is saying.

That does not make it true.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

People get frightened over everything. I get freaked out over pictures of snakes. That is MY problem however, not the person who posts pictures of snakes. The principal overreacted, plain and simple and has no legal grounds for what he did. 

Quoting lga1965:

It's always risky to post unusual photos on Facebook. See what happened? Someone was frightened..

Quoting Bethsunshine:

She wasn't threatening anyone. Besides, as an Army veteran, one could easily assume that she is trained in using firearms so just by saying she is an Army veteran would that also be perceived as a threat?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

People and guns... SMH.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM
If the principal at my kids school did this, even to some other parent, I'd pull my kid from the school. It's obviously being run by an idiot. My kid deserves a better place to learn.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yeah, some narrow minded schmuck pulled a power play that's gonna cost her employer a butt load of money defending her. I wonder if the Principal thinks it was worth it now? I wonder if she feels she MAY have overstepped her boundaries yet?

Quoting lga1965:

I don't care what she did. But posting things like that is a problem when it's on Facebook. See what happened ?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Its one thing if she's holding her gun up WITH the permit with a handwritten note saying "Muahahaaa the kids at school better be skeered NOW" vs. simply a picture of her permit. If we allow Principal's to make parental judgement calls on parents, do Mormon Principals next get to ban every parent from campus that posts a picture of them drinking booze?

Quoting lga1965:

I never said it was true. But she's really taking a chance posting stuff like that on Facebook.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

People and guns... SMH.

That is what you think she is saying.

That does not make it true.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM
And she made a big mistake just like thousands of others who post stuff on Facebook and become known publicly....even after saying they're "a private person". LOL. She wanted attention and she's pretty irresponsible.
I don't post personal things on FB. My granddaughters canceled their accounts last year. Social Media can be a big mess. Hell, I haven't even told anyone I am CM member !
Caution is the word .

Quoting Bethsunshine:

People get frightened over everything. I get freaked out over pictures of snakes. That is MY problem however, not the person who posts pictures of snakes. The principal overreacted, plain and simple and has no legal grounds for what he did. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

People and guns... SMH.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I wonder what else this woman has done to make the principal fearful? Certainly there is more to this story.

KhloesMom2009
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

This is how we teach people to be deceptive, by punishing the people who have nothing to hide.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

While I agree that posting the picture wasnt the smartest idea, she was still well within her rights to do so and unless there is more to the story, the principal was not within his rights. Unless she is actually carrying a gun onto school property, he needs to chill. 

Quoting lga1965:

And she made a big mistake just like thousands of others who post stuff on Facebook and become known publicly....even after saying they're "a private person". LOL. She wanted attention and she's pretty irresponsible.
I don't post personal things on FB. My granddaughters canceled their accounts last year. Social Media can be a big mess. Hell, I haven't even told anyone I am CM member !
Caution is the word .

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

People and guns... SMH.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Maybe but not necessarily. Given that kids are getting suspended for biting a pop tart into the shape of what the teacher thought was a gun, it isnt that much of a stretch to think that the principal overreacted. Is there an article giving the principal's side?

Quoting Sisteract:

I wonder what else this woman has done to make the principal fearful? Certainly there is more to this story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)