Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida teacher suspended for forcing kids to say pledge on Sept. 11 or ‘go to your home country’

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 198 Replies

Florida teacher suspended for forcing kids to say pledge on Sept. 11 or ‘go to your home country’

A Florida teacher was recently suspended without pay for five days after school officials said that she forced a fourth grade student to violate his religious beliefs and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Tampa Bay Times reported that the student, whose Jehovah's Witness religion forbids him from worshiping objects, was used to standing silent while the other students put their hands over their hearts and recited the pledge.

But on the morning of Sept. 11, Explorer K-8 School teacher Anne Daigle-McDonald forcibly placed the boy's hand over his heart.

"You are an American, and you are supposed to salute the flag," she said, turning to the class. "In my classroom, everyone will do the pledge; no religion says that you can't do the pledge."

"If you can't put your hand on your heart, then you need to move out of the country," the teacher reportedly added.

Hernando County Schools Division of Business Services-Heather Martin Executive Director later told Daigle-McDonald that nearly all of the students in her fourth grade class had recalled her telling them the next day to move back to their home country if they didn't want to say the pledge.

"But that's not what I said," Daigle-McDonald insisted. "It was directed at citizenship. I was talking about pledging allegiance to our country, and if you don't want to pledge to our country, you should go to your home country."

The teacher said that she had no idea that the boy was a Jehovah's Witness but admitted that the mother had told her he did not celebrate holidays.

"[I] just wanted all of the students to respect the day," she remarked. "It wasn't a holiday, so I didn't see why the whole class couldn't say the pledge."

In it1943 West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette ruling, the Supreme Court found that it was unconstitutional to force students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Watch this video from WTSP, broadcast Nov. 5, 2013.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM
4 moms liked this

"go to your home country"?????? What an idiot!

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this

Not her best move, but I totally get her irritation. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM
10 moms liked this

Quote:

But on the morning of Sept. 11, Explorer K-8 School teacher Anne Daigle-McDonald forcibly placed the boy's hand over his heart

What ever the kids reason for NOT pledging, she should not have touched him. PERIOD

Seriously WTF...

lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Not all kids can be harassed and forced to do something that their religion forbids. The teacher was wrong.
In Florida teachers get carried away with their religious efforts . My kids saw others being shamed into obeying religious dictates when we lived in Florida in the 70's. I'm glad we were transferred out after two years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I still don''t get why he couldn't say the pledge.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
3 moms liked this

It is against the religion...that teacher was so wrong. 

Quoting futureshock:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM
17 moms liked this

It's not her job to force kids to respect this country. That's not why we send them to school. 

I also am tired of this "do it or you can get out of the country" bullshit. This country was founded on certain freedoms. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It would be considered idol worship. Some Christians of other denominations feel the same way about the pledge. 

Quoting futureshock:

SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Those JW's  are nutbars.

1stpreggers
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Not her best move, but I totally get her irritation. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)