Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parent Gives 11 year old AK-47

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 65 Replies

I notice the Admin has featured my post, while I appreciate that, I do not appreciate them changing my title of the post where it's listed on the home page, listing it as "What kind of parent gives an 11 year old and ak-47?", therefor making it sound more sensational, also resultingly making it sound  like I was putting the parent down. That is not the title I created and I'd appreciate if the admins could list it with the actual title I created so I can stop getting so many negative responses.

So I just finished watching the latest episode of one of my favorite shows called Life below Zero, which is about families and people who live very close to the Arctic circle in very rural areas, people who live a more simple lifestyle who pretty much have to hunt/gather/find everything they eat. Getting to the point, at the one part of the episode, it was an 11 year old's birthday. Her father mentioned it was her first birthday not receiving a fire arm as part of her array of gifts. He mentioned he likes to give his kids gifts that they can use in life, instead of games or toys (i can appreciate that to a point) . He continues on to mention in regards to not receiving a gun this year, she already has her own .22, AK-47, among others, this is an 11 year old girl mind you. I don't know, I get that it is very important in that area to teach your kids about survival and protection against animals, how to hunt, etc, and I'm sure, based on what else I've seen of the family in the show (it's my 2nd season watching them) that the father is most likely not just letting her go shooting it on her own, all willy nilly, but it just struck me still as kind of shocking for a child to be given an array of guns from their parent, let alone an AK-47?? Obviously it is a completely different lifestyle/world up there, but still...

What are your thoughts and opinons?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

A wild pack of animals require that sort of weapon. It is still the best for hunting wild boars as well.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Not our place to judge.
Kfdmrw9312
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I can appreciate that, and kind of agree since we aren't living up there and we definitely don't know everything they are dealing with. It just kinda blew me away when he's casually like "She has an AK-47, a .22 .." just as calmly as if he were talking about a kids toy, you know? lol, it just kinda took me for a loop.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Not our place to judge.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Since they know their child better than I, I assume they know what they're doing. My 11 year old still needs to be reminded to brush his teeth twice a day, occasionally zip his fly and keep track of his cell...
Kfdmrw9312
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

LoL, same here w/ my kid, I tell her every morning, come on man, you need to brush your teeth, do you want your friends shrinking away from you in school today cuz it smells funky? LoL. I can agree every kid is different in what they can handle, be responsible for.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Since they know their child better than I, I assume they know what they're doing. My 11 year old still needs to be reminded to brush his teeth twice a day, occasionally zip his fly and keep track of his cell...

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

And my soon-to-be 11 yo will not have a cell phone. Most likely he will not get one until he is at least 13 or 14.

Goes to show- each family sets different rules based on the needs/circumstances of the family.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Quoting stormcris:

A wild pack of animals require that sort of weapon. It is still the best for hunting wild boars as well.

why wild boars?  My dad used to hunt wild pig...he just had a rifle.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM

All guns/rifles/etc should be kept in a locked gun safe.

I'm not as non-judgemental as the other moms here, but we are urban dwellers & I do realize that.  Still, that is where the shooting weapons belong.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."  -  Dante

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM
I'm sure the kid isn't running around on her own with a loaded weapon so its probably just part of a collection hes starting for his kids.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
3 moms liked this

My 13 year old has an array of guns.  They are not in her name, they are not in our house.  She uses them when she goes hunting/shooting.  When she is of age, they will legally be hers.

I can understand the weapons considering where and how they live.  If kids are raised around and with guns, and taught properly, it is nothing like those who are not think it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)