Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is offshore the new corporate expansion plan?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

This past week, Google brass voiced a bit of byte displeasure at revelations coming from the "Bugs Bunny" of the surveillance state—intelligence provocateur general Edward Snowden—that the NSA has been going into the fiber optic cables deep under the ocean to tap data being ferried byGoogle and Yahoo!. Meanwhile, a mystery ship (barge actually) turned up in San Francisco Bay and has been attributed to Google's far flung (and often curious) ventures. Could the barge be a solution to interference from the NSA, allowing Google to ferry data across the world's oceans by a team of gondaliers with GPS-enabled Google Glass out of the reach of the government?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101156894

Could this be the new way to get around regulations of various governments and a possible way for corporations to move towards? When you place a radio station out at sea it is called pirate radio. They are not under the regulations faced by those on land. Could it be feasible for corporations to move production to open waters in the same manner?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

to get around piracy regulations?

Cant really get around what they would do out there....its not like a quiet calm lake...thats deep blue sea territory.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:34 AM

To get around the regulations of the countries such as the US. 

I was reference pirate radio because it is on open water for much the same reason to get around the FCC regulations.

Quoting turtle68:

Cant really get around what they would do out there....its not like a quiet calm lake...thats deep blue sea territory.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM

I understood the pirate radio reference :-)  I was talking more about movie piracy laws...downloadable laws.  I dont know what FCC is.

IMO anything to do with internet downloading can be done from any country in the world....dont really know what else could be done from international waters that would interest Google or Yahoo.

Quoting stormcris:

I was reference pirate radio because it is on open water for much the same reason to get around the FCC regulations.

Quoting turtle68:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM
2 moms liked this

FCC is our Federal Communications Commission.

They oversee all the waves, wires, and some content.

Quoting turtle68:

I understood the pirate radio reference :-)  I was talking more about movie piracy laws...downloadable laws.  I dont know what FCC is.

IMO anything to do with internet downloading can be done from any country in the world....dont really know what else could be done from international waters that would interest Google or Yahoo.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Could the barge be a solution to interference from the NSA, allowing Google to ferry data across the world's oceans by a team of gondaliers with GPS-enabled Google Glass out of the reach of the government?

How can something sound reasonable and ridiculous at the same time?

KatLee42513
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Call me slow - so corporations or the government are going off shore to get away with regulations? Am I understanding this right?
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I was referring to them moving offshore in order to avoid things such as paying minimun wage, taxes, and having their work conditions meet regulations.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting turtle68:

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

LOL I think they didn't want to make it look as heavy as what they were implying.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting stormcris:

Could the barge be a solution to interference from the NSA, allowing Google to ferry data across the world's oceans by a team of gondaliers with GPS-enabled Google Glass out of the reach of the government?

How can something sound reasonable and ridiculous at the same time?

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It seems that could be a possibility. I am curious if this will be the new move to avoid taxes and the like.

Quoting KatLee42513:

Call me slow - so corporations or the government are going off shore to get away with regulations? Am I understanding this right?

KatLee42513
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't put it past them...

Quoting stormcris:

It seems that could be a possibility. I am curious if this will be the new move to avoid taxes and the like.

Quoting KatLee42513:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured