Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Renisha McBride, 19, Shot To Death On Metro Detroit Porch While Trying To Get Help

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM
  • 498 Replies

Renisha McBride, 19, Shot To Death On Metro Detroit Porch While Trying To Get Help, Family Says

Nov 06, 2013

A woman who appeared to need help in the middle of the night and was subsequently shot to death may have been the victim in a case of self-defense gone wrong, according to WJBK-TV.

Renisha McBride, 19, was killed Saturday in Dearborn Heights, Mich, located just west of Detroit. Her family says she approached a stranger's house for help around 2:30 a.m. after she had a car accident, according to the Detroit News. She was fatally shot on the porch.

McBride’s aunt Bernita Spinks told the paper she believes it was a case of racial profiling.

“He shot her in the head ... for what? For knocking on his door,” Spinks told the paper.“If he felt scared or threatened, he should have called 911. ... She went looking for help and now she’s dead.”

Family members described McBride as a hardworking, soft-spoken woman who keeps to herself, according to WJBK-TV.

Earlier, police said that the victim's body had been left on the porch after her death, but police since determined that she was shot there. Police said they have identified the shooter, but haven't released a name. According to the Dearborn Press & Guide, a report has been sent to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, who would be responsible for charging the suspect.

Though police have so far released few details about the suspect or the circumstances of McBride's death, commenters have reacted with remorse and outrage, drawing parallels to other cases where African-American victims were allegedly killed without cause.

Jonathan Ferrell was shot 10 times by a white police officer in Charlotte N.C. in September. A homeowner made the 911 call after Ferrell, who crashed his car, knocked on the door for help, according to the Associated Press. He was charged with voluntary manslaughter.

Michigan has a version of a "Stand You Ground" law, which allows individuals to use deadly force without first retreating if they believe it's necessary to prevent imminent harm or death. Some activists and legislators have called for the law to be changed.

Again???? And the shooters identity is being withheld while this girl's body lies in the morgue. So sad and unfair!! RIP.

UPDATE: Renisha was shot in the back of the head with a shotgun. Shooter never called 911, left her on the porch to die. Family was initially told her body had been "dumped" rather than that she had been shot on the porch.

UPDATE: The shooter now claims he thought she was trying to break in and he accidentally shot her. Also, she was shot in the mouth, not the back of the head as the family first claimed. Still no charges filed at this point and we don't know who ended up calling 911

UPDATE: 911 calls released show timeline more clearly. Shooter did call 911. Shot wasn't close range. Still waiting on tox screen and other autopsy details.

UPDATE: tox screen showed blood alcohol level to be 3x legal limit. Prosecutor to announce today (11/15) what, if any, charges will be filed against the shooter. 

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DieselsMom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

If someone is frantically beating on my door, you better believe I am opening it with a gun..and to say this is a race issue in detroit? what she white?

tammyhunt11
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

While in no way do I think this girl should have been shot, I do think the neighborhood probably played a part in her death. While I live in a place where we sleep with our doors unlocked and someone knocking on my door would be no cause for alarm, Detroit is an area where it is not the same.

Mommabearbergh
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
but this person open the door and shot a person from the way its described she didn't even get a word out. So has it come to sorry I can't help for fear if I knock on someones door I get my dang head blown off
Quoting DieselsMom:

If someone is frantically beating on my door, you better believe I am opening it with a gun..and to say this is a race issue in detroit? what she white?

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
5 moms liked this
You could just not open the door, call 911, yell through the door (if there isn't a peep hole) to see what the problem is. You think most criminals intent on doing you harm will bang on your door in the middle of the night? Seems like an odd tactic to me. So you don't think shooting a 19 yr old woman in the head for knocking on your door is a bit of an extreme reaction?

Quoting DieselsMom:

Mommabearbergh
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM
4 moms liked this

It seemes we have come to a time where knocking on someones door is a bad idea.  When your in a accident unless your in the right neighborhood in daylight. gotcha.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Possibly...I don't know what crime is like in Dearborn Heights. In my area, I'd be startled and suspicious of a late night banging on my door, but not "shoot to kill" scared. Guess we'll have to see how this develops. So sad for her family :(

Quoting tammyhunt11:

While in no way do I think this girl should have been shot, I do think the neighborhood probably played a part in her death. While I live in a place where we sleep with our doors unlocked and someone knocking on my door would be no cause for alarm, Detroit is an area where it is not the same.

_ClearFruit_
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Tragic!Nowadays you can not ask for help the old fashion way.
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Can't make clicky from mobile:

http://nation.time.com/2013/11/06/police-seek-charges-in-shooting-of-19-year-old-detroit-woman/

SHE WAS SHOT IN THE **BACK** OF THE HEAD WITH A SHOTGUN.
babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
so sad that poor woman :-( this shoot now ask questions later thing needs to stop

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts, exactly.

Quoting tammyhunt11:

Minnow Slayer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN