Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think these kids had their civil rights violated?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 93 Replies
2 moms liked this

Parents Overreact When Kids Are 'Segregated' By Grades During Lunch

by Kiri Blakeley

In case you are still in doubt that we're raising a generation (or two) of narcissistic monsters, take this school in Tennessee that got hit with a bunch of 'rent rage after parents started to think that the school was "segregating" the smart kids and the not-so-smart kids during lunch. La Vergne high school got in hot water after it began taking the kids who needed "academic intervention" aside during lunch and giving them extra help. Some parents weren't happy that their grades-challenged kiddos were being forced to eat elsewhere in the cafeteria. OMG, parents, do you not have anything else to DO?!

Lest you think that the parents weren't really overreacting, here's a reportedly REAL quote from one of these irate 'rents:

I call it a civil rights violation and segregation, no doubt.

Err, what??!!

The school spokesperson explains that the school decided to have the academic interventions over lunch so that the kids' classroom time wouldn't be interrupted ... so they, ya know, decided to give them extra help in a different part of the cafeteria.

So of course this turns into a "civil rights violation." Are you freaking kidding me?? Some kids and parents are even peeved that this time taken away from lunch toward grade improvement impedes on their social time. Oh, boo hoo!

More From The Stir: Mom Overreacts When Disabled Son Is 'Set Aside' in Classroom Photo

The kids who want or need extra help can take 25 minutes after lunch and be helped while the kids who don't need it can take that extra 25 minutes and stay eating their lunch. Somehow this turns into MAJOR DRAMA and "forced segregation." OMG, these kids are going to have such a hard time with life, I feel sorry for them! Or, I would feel sorry for them, except they are going to make everyone else's lives so miserable expecting absolutely equal and fair treatment at all times in their lives that I can't feel sorry for them.

If your grades are suffering and you need extra help, get thee to another part of the cafeteria and study and let everyone else eat in peace. Parents, chill out, you crazy twits. You aren't doing your kids any favors. They're going to spend their entire lives being "segregated" based on performance, and they should get used to it now. Oh wait, these are the parents who will sue because their children didn't promoted at work -- and someone else did! Waaahhh!!

I bet these kids are named Princess, King, and Awesome too.

Do you think these kids had their civil rights violated?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulumomof2
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM
8 moms liked this

I think those parents need to get a grip on reality!! I think they are more upset that other kids might know that their kids need help. If either of my sons needed the extra help I would THANK the teachers who were helping my son. My youngest son is in Jr high and he has a teacher who offers study sessions the day or 2 before they have a test (for all the students not just ones who need it). Not only do I encourage my son to go, I make sure he gets to school early enough to attend.

ramita
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
5 moms liked this
I had a couple of teachers in high school that kept their classroom door open during lunch time just for students who needed extra help. I think having teachers willing to help students succeed by giving up their break time is part of what makes a good teacher. These parents have gone a little overboard with this...
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We already talked about this, didn't we?

Some parents complain when there is no help for their child and when there is they complain because it interferes with the precious social time.

valrubio
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

That is ridiculous. They should want their kids to get extra help if they need it. I guess they won't mind their kids working at mcdonalds in their 30's.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Let's complain when you actually have something to complain about.

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Lunch socializing is a civil right?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter just missed three days of school, she has been ill.

She still has work to make up.  She will be segregated from her friends, at lunch, and after school, in order to get herself caught up.

Oh, the horror!!!!

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Oh, for Pete's sake.  At my daughter's high school, every student is scheduled for what's called "advisory" with their lunch periods.  If they need tutoring in a class, they go to a math (or whatever) teacher during advisory time.  If they don't need it, they can use the extra time for lunch.  It's a way to get kids some help during the school day.

mothernature
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
18 moms liked this

I think those kids should be allowed to have their lunch and recess just like the other kids ! How does that turn a kid into a "narcissistic monster" ? Would you expect to be trained at work on your lunch break ? its bad enough our kids are being forced to learn at such a fast clinical pace, Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. In the fall and winter my kids get home from school at 3:30 and it is dark by 4:30 and they usually have about an hour of homework , asking that they have 30 minutes a day at school to hangout,eat,and decompress is not to much to ask .......when we go to work we have a RIGHT to a certain amount of breaks within a certain amount of time ....why should that be different for our kids....if anything it is MORE important for our kids to have that mental break than us .....i dont understand you point of view at all......sounds like you are just saying that dumb kids dont deserve a break to eat their lunch in peace ?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You make some really good points!

Quoting mothernature:

I think those kids should be allowed to have their lunch and recess just like the other kids ! How does that turn a kid into a "narcissistic monster" ? Would you expect to be trained at work on your lunch break ? its bad enough our kids are being forced to learn at such a fast clinical pace, Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. In the fall and winter my kids get home from school at 3:30 and it is dark by 4:30 and they usually have about an hour of homework , asking that they have 30 minutes a day at school to hangout,eat,and decompress is not to much to ask .......when we go to work we have a RIGHT to a certain amount of breaks within a certain amount of time ....why should that be different for our kids....if anything it is MORE important for our kids to have that mental break than us .....i dont understand you point of view at all......sounds like you are just saying that dumb kids dont deserve a break to eat their lunch in peace ?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)