Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thieves to lose benefits for actions during glitch

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 40 Replies

State to cut food stamp benefits for overspending

Posted: Nov 06, 2013 7:34 PM EST Updated: Nov 06, 2013 7:51 PM EST

By MELINDA DESLATTE
Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - The state social services department is going to strip food stamp benefits from people who are found to have deliberately overspent their balance when the electronic food stamp service was down last month.

The Department of Children and Family Services announced Wednesday that it would seek to disqualify food stamp recipients through the state's administrative hearing process.

Several Louisiana retailers, including Wal-Mart stores in Mansfield and Springhill, allowed food stamp recipients to make unlimited purchases on Oct. 12, when the electronic card system was down and balances couldn't be checked.

DCFS says about 12,000 insufficient funds were conducted when the system was down, though not all are assumed to be fraudulent.

The department's response comes after U.S. Sen. David Vitter complained that state officials weren't aggressively pursuing food stamp fraud.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Good.  

They should not receive the amount they 'over spent'.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

They should lose their benefits. Seems like a very reasonable consequence for their action.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Good. I'm so glad they aren't going to be able to get away with it.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of these people seem to think they are entitled to whatever they want.  They have brought this on themselves.  They had no concerns about the taxpayers who had to pay for their fraud.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I don't think they should lose their benefits if they truly still need them, but they shouldn't receive anymore money until the amount they overspent is paid back.

for example, someone spent $1,000 when they only had $250 left. for the next few months theyshould get no benefits until they have evened out with what they knowingly overspent.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

So their only punishment should be they have to pay it back?

Would that be acceptable to you if someone stole money from you and all they had to do was pay it back?

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I don't think they should lose their benefits if they truly still need them, but they shouldn't receive anymore money until the amount they overspent is paid back.

for example, someone spent $1,000 when they only had $250 left. for the next few months theyshould get no benefits until they have evened out with what they knowingly overspent.

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I'm torn, because while I can't stand dishonest people, I'd hate to see children go without.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Well, there ya' go.  I said this would happen.

A-WAHL
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I agee!

Quoting candlegal:

Some of these people seem to think they are entitled to whatever they want.  They have brought this on themselves.  They had no concerns about the taxpayers who had to pay for their fraud.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Bet they don't think they are quite as awesome now.

Are they going to let them reapply?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN