Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Implanting Computer Chips in Kids? Not In Mine!

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 47 Replies

Talk about intervention during childbirth! No way would I have let any doctor implant a chip in my kids. 

The Circle is a new novel by Dave Eggers that takes on technology's infringement on privacy - including the implantation of tracking devices in children.

From a Nov. 7, 2013 NPR review by Barbara J. King: [S]et at a California computer company, a cult of connection is slowly taking over the United States and spreading around the globe. An evolving cultural preference for constant sharing by way of computer and camera is turning any citizen's wish for privacy into a scorned, misanthropic secrecy. 

(Read the entire review: http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/11/07/243268350/tag-him-track-him-hug-him-love-him)

But the idea of micro-chipping children may be a whole lot older than the computer age. Concerned that these chips could be the mark of the beast from the book of Revelation, Virginia's House of Delegates took matters into its own hands, outlawing the practice of micro-chipping children back in 2010. Support for the measure was overwhelming.

Here's a quote from a March 16, 2010, article from USC's Religion Dispatches Magazine: Last month, Virginia lawmaker Mark Cole, a Fredericksburg Republican, sponsored a bill in the House of Delegates to prohibit the involuntary implantation of microchips into human beings. “My understanding—I’m not a theologian—but there’s a prophecy in the Bible that says you’ll have to receive a mark, or you can neither buy nor sell things in end times,” said Cole. “Some people think these computer chips might be that mark.”

In spite of some ridicule, Cole’s bill passed the Virginia House of Delegates by an overwhelming 88-9 majority—because, as his fellow Republican David B. Albo opined, “The fact that some people who support it are a little wacky doesn’t make it a bad idea." 

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Perfect_Misfit
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Hell to the nah. No chips for my children. They ain't cattle.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We'll pass.

I did see where Schumer thought autistic kids should be forced to have GPS.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Mark of the beast or not.NOT going to happen with my kids.

Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM
12 moms liked this
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd have no problem putting a chip in my kids. In the event they were ever abducted, they could simply be tracked. I've watched firsthand what a family goes through not knowing where their child is. It's torturous. It took a year to find my cousin's body when she and her best friend were taken. It could be removed at any time. I don't know why a parent wouldn't want it to be perfectly honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KikiKia
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm also probably in the minority.

We use them very effectively for lost pets...I would not be opposed to having my kids microchipped.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd have no problem putting a chip in my kids. In the event they were ever abducted, they could simply be tracked. I've watched firsthand what a family goes through not knowing where their child is. It's torturous. It took a year to find my cousin's body when she and her best friend were taken. It could be removed at any time. I don't know why a parent wouldn't want it to be perfectly honest.

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like an interesting novel. If I can get my hands on it I would probably read it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Then take away their cell phones, tear up their debit cards, and close down all of their social media accounts.  A chip is nothing compared to the endless access the government has to your privacy.  Personal privacy is a myth.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It wouldn't be forced, it's voluntary. They already do it for Alzheimers patients. And they aren't injected under the skin like chips on pets. They are put in shoes or watches. And there isn't a need to do it to all children. Children with autism or other developmental disabilities that wander away from home would benefit from this. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

We'll pass.

I did see where Schumer thought autistic kids should be forced to have GPS.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Chips don't have batteries in them. They can't transmit.
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM

NO tyhanks  rafid not for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)