Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student sues over religious assemblies at school

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

Video here:

http://www.wapt.com/news/whos-accountable/Student-sues-over-school-religious-assemblies/-/9537186/22749080/-/7xy0ukz/-/index.html

Article:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/student-magdalene-bedi-sues-over-religious-assemblies-school#

Student Magdalene Bedi Sues Over Religious Assemblies At School

article image

One student is going against a Mississippi community’s strong religious influence with a lawsuit over religious assemblies at her school.

Magdalene Bedi, 17, along with the American Humanist Association, filed suit Wednesday against the Rankin County School District for four assemblies that took place at Northern Rankin High School. She says that, in all four assemblies, teachers were present and students were asked to pray.

The American Humanist Association claims students they were not allowed to leave the assembly, WLOX-13 reports.

“We were not told what the assembly was going to be about. I asked a teacher and she said, ‘You don’t need to know. It will be good for you.’ I asked other teachers and they said, ‘We’re not supposed to tell you. Just go.’” Bedi told WAPT News.

She recorded cell phone video in April of one the assemblies where she says students talked to each other about getting through obstacles through Jesus Christ.

“That was the straw that broke the camels back for me,” Bedi, who describes herself as a nondenominational Christian, said. “I was uncomfortable with the whole thing – the fact that they were preaching an assembly through Christianity.”

Mississippi, which was found to be the most religious state in the country according to a Gallup poll last year, has faced other conflicts over the separation of church and state.

Another allegation in Rankin County claims a Christian minister was allowed to enter the cafeteria at Northshore Elementary School where he approached a Muslim child. Students were told to pray for her because she was going to hell, according to WAPT.

“We want to follow the law. We want to follow School Board policy. We understand freedom of speech and we want to do what’s right here in Rankin County,” said Richard Morrison, the assistant superintendent for the school district.

He said the assembly was student led and not school-sanctioned.

But William Burgess, legal coordinator of the Appignani Humanist Legal Center doesn’t buy it.

“It is clear that these assemblies are put on by the school itself,” he told WLOX-13. “They were staged in a school room, during the school day and the school sent an email to teachers telling them that students were required to attend.”

Bedi, meanwhile, says she doesn’t want money out of the lawsuit. She only wants the school district to follow the law.

“I want them to admit what they did was wrong and that it will not happen again,” she said.

Source: WAPT NewsWLOX-13Gallup

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think this one has been posted yet (couldn't find it in a search), my apologies if it has...

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

bump

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM
14 moms liked this

The audacity of some Christians amazes me. They go on and on about the constitution and THEIR rights but when it comes to the rights of others, they seriously don't give a shit because it's all about THEM. They'd also be the first to bitch about the Government in their churches but see nothing wrong with their god in the Government- especially public schools.

nixore
by Myk Elskling on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM
5 moms liked this

Yeah...  mandatory attendance, during the school day, that's school-sponsored and a pretty clear violation of separation of church and state, imo.  I'd be very upset if they did that at my child's public school. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I am glaf she got video. I wouldnt have believed it.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be livid if this happened at my son's school.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

this shit happened at the school I went to, too. mandatory assembly with some pro football player telling us how he used to be all fucked up on drugs, and now he's all fucked up on the lord. 

and leading us in prayer at the end. 

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
6 moms liked this

I admire her.  It cannot be easy to be a young person of such conviction facing a tide that is likely against her.

squeekers
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I would have turned around & walked out the door, so would DD. We would take an detention over being subjected to a forced religion.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

really brave young lady

Quoting romalove:

I admire her.  It cannot be easy to be a young person of such conviction facing a tide that is likely against her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)