Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad Calls Cops on Son , Cops Shoot Son Dead ETA, after watching the full video, I think the cops were justified

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 69 Replies

Son shot and killed after father calls police on him

ETA - After watching the full video, I think the cops were justified

on November 08, 2013 at 9:12 AM, updated November 08, 2013 at 9:14 AM

James Comstock called police after his 19-year-old son took his pickup without his permission to go to the store for cigarettes.

Now Comstock, of Slater, Iowa, is mourning the death of his son, Tyler, after police chased the pickup through the Iowa State University campus in Ames and fired on it. The state medical examiner's office determined Tyler died from two gunshot wounds, the Des Moines Register reported.

ne_131108_comstock.jpgA pickup bring driven by Tyler Comstock run backwards away from police in a field on the Iowa State University campus. Comstock, 19, was killed by police Monday at the end of a chase that started when his father called 911 to report the truck stolen.ABC5 | Ames, Iowa, police screen capture 
"He took off with my truck. I call the police, and they kill him," James Comstock told The Register on Tuesday, the day after the incident. "It was over a damn pack of cigarettes. I wouldn't buy him none. And I lose my son for that."

The use of deadly force was justified, Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes announced Thursday following an investigation that included interviews and an examination of police car dashboard video, myabc5.com said.

"These officers were placed in an impossible situation," Holmes wrote in a report to Ames Police Chief Charles Cychosz cited in USA Today.

According to The Register, police began chasing Tyler Comstock after his father reported the pickup stolen.

Ames police officer Adam McPherson pursued the vehicle into the Iowa State campus.
Voices on dispatch audio twice suggested that police back off, but Comstock was running stop signs and a red light and navigating narrow streets at speeds nearing 70 mph. Police video shows his truck ramming police cars and narrowly missing pedestrians and other vehicles, USA Today said.

The truck eventually came to a halt but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to switch it off. McPherson fired six shots at the vehicle.

Comstock was unarmed, his father said.

Comstock's step-grandfather, Gary Shepley, told The Register said he questions why police chased an easily identifiable green-and-white lawn care truck onto a busy campus when they could have retreated and found the vehicle later.

He also wondered why police would fire at the truck six times on a crowded college campus:

"So he didn't shut the damn truck off, so let's fire six rounds at him? We're confused, and we don't understand."

Ames police Commander Geoff Huff gave this explanation at a news conference Thursday attended by the Iowa State Daily:
"The suspect had every opportunity to comply with officers. At the end of the pursuit, the officers were out of options with two disabled squad cars and a suspect still intending to harm the officers and posing a very real and deadly risk to everyone in that area. Officer McPherson fired into the truck to stop the threat and stopped firing once it appeared the threat had been reduced."

McPherson remained on paid leave, the campus paper website said.

Myabc5.com posted this dashboard cam footage released by authorities: ABC5 News Des Moines, IA

Do you think deadly force was justified in this case? Please leave a comment below.

watch the full video here

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/11/son_shot_and_killed_after_father_calls_police_on_him.html

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, that'll learn 'em.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
That's pathetic. Just so wrong. Tough love is not supposed to result in law enforcement shooting your unarmed child to death.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM
3 moms liked this
There are just so many of these killing unarmed nonviolent offenders

Quoting Bookwormy:

That's pathetic. Just so wrong. Tough love is not supposed to result in law enforcement shooting your unarmed child to death.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2Gs
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM
3 moms liked this

This is why you should listen to the police.  

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

There's some information missing from the article you posted.  The young man was using the truck/trailer as a weapon.  I'm still unsure whether or not the police were justified in shooting him when they did but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case based on the video footage.  Any number of people besides the police could have been injured or killed because this young man didn't pull over as soon as the cops tried to stop him. 

Video of chase also at link:

Videos from inside McPherson's car and another officer's car during the chase and shooting were played during the news conference.  They show during the chase Comstock backing up and hitting a police officer's car, a trailer flying off the truck, speeding down Ames streets, the truck racing past motorists and pedestrians and eventually the conclusion of the chase on the ISU campus.  The gunshots can be heard in both videos.

Authorities said there was no directive from dispatch to call off the pursuit.

"The officers back off when it was suggested by the supervisor but continue with lights and siren as a warning to other bystanders. The officers attempted numerous times to stop the suspect. The suspect had every opportunity to stop the truck and comply with the officer's lawful commands. He chose not to. At the end of the pursuit, the officers were out of options, with two disabled squad cars and a suspect still attempting to harm the officers and posing a real and deadly risk to everyone in that area Officer McPherson fired into the truck to stop the threat and stopped firing once it appeared the threat had been reduced," said Cmdr. Geoff Huff of the Ames Police Department.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Im all for giving the benefit of doubt....but if they pulled him over and he did stop, does that mean I can shoot at him BECAUSE he didnt stop when I told him too?

Shooting at him to stop him could be grounds for understanding....seeing an erratic dangerous driver may lead someone to think he was under the influence...not armed and dangerous.

IMO the police's answer to everything in the US is shoot first ask questions later....problem is, there is noone to ask anything later.

Quoting FrogSalad:

There's some information missing from the article you posted.  The young man was using the truck/trailer as a weapon.  I'm still unsure whether or not the police were justified in shooting him when they did but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case based on the video footage.  Any number of people besides the police could have been injured or killed because this young man didn't pull over as soon as the cops tried to stop him. 

Video of chase also at link:

Videos from inside McPherson's car and another officer's car during the chase and shooting were played during the news conference.  They show during the chase Comstock backing up and hitting a police officer's car, a trailer flying off the truck, speeding down Ames streets, the truck racing past motorists and pedestrians and eventually the conclusion of the chase on the ISU campus.  The gunshots can be heard in both videos.

Authorities said there was no directive from dispatch to call off the pursuit.

"The officers back off when it was suggested by the supervisor but continue with lights and siren as a warning to other bystanders. The officers attempted numerous times to stop the suspect. The suspect had every opportunity to stop the truck and comply with the officer's lawful commands. He chose not to. At the end of the pursuit, the officers were out of options, with two disabled squad cars and a suspect still attempting to harm the officers and posing a real and deadly risk to everyone in that area Officer McPherson fired into the truck to stop the threat and stopped firing once it appeared the threat had been reduced," said Cmdr. Geoff Huff of the Ames Police Department.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Mommabearbergh
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM
3 moms liked this
What happen to apprehending people alive. Doing things like shooting out tires etc. I really do think there could have been a better way
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM
3 moms liked this
The truck was a weapon. If he were firing shots people wouldn't be as upset but a truck that is being rammed into cars and driven at high speeds through a college campus is dangerous.
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:37 AM
I don't side with them at all or are they the only cops in the US that don't use. all the other ways of stopping a car? they knew dad called it in and another officer said to call off the chase. The cop then shoots at a child six times and kills him. wrong just wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)