Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Will you participate in "Don't Send Your Child to School Day" to protest Common Core?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 164 Replies
1 mom liked this

New Nationwide 'Common Core' School Curriculum Has Moms Outraged

by Michele Zipp 

common coreCommon Core is kind of turning into the Obamacare of education. And as more and more parents are learning the details about it, we're starting to worry. And get angry. One parent was recently arrested at a Common Core meeting at his child's school for asking a question. Which makes me a little concerned for my kids' school Common Core meeting coming up next week.

Common Core was introduced about three years ago, but is just starting to be implemented in classrooms. One teacher I spoke with said there are good aspects of Common Core, but it's completely driven by money. She said that it's contributing to the defunding of schools and very problematic. I see her point, and I'm also very concerned about why something that hasn't truly been tested is being put into place nationwide. I have more questions than answers, which is why I'm considering the Common Core protest planned for November 18, a.k.a. "Don't Send Your Child to School Day."

As I mentioned, my school's Common Core meeting is next week, so I'm hoping to gather even more information (and not get arrested). Perhaps we can decode this together? Here is what I do know. Something is fishy. All states except Nebraska, Alaska, Texas, Virginia, and Minnesota adopted Common Core. What were they on to that the others weren't? Well, it's a little more complicated than that and it does involve money as my teacher friend noted. It seems that the Obama administration offered federal education grants to the states who took on Common Core. This was all through No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top. These states also will be given higher "scoring" from those in power for their grant applications. Sounds like coercion. Not exactly voluntary. We're playing with our kids' education here and that's wrong.

Some of the states who have adopted Common Core are second guessing it. Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania have put a hold on rolling out Common Core standards. And I'm starting to wish New York, where I live, would too. Usually, when we make a change as great as Common Core, we test it out instead of implementing it nationwide. We have no proof to know if it works, how well it works, and the issues we need to fix it so it works better. Why roll it out everywhere when it should be tested in certain places and we learn from those outcomes? I know our schools need revamping, but is this just a too drastic a change, far too fast? One principal reported that once Common Core was put in place, the failure rate rose particularly among the students who had the highest needs. Those are the children we are trying to help. No child left behind? The race to the top Common Core style seems like it may be leaving many children behind.

The issue with Common Core ... well, one of them ... is that many feel it stifles creativity and doesn't cater to each child's individual needs. It sounds daunting, but all of our kids need different things or tactics to learn. That is how we truly never leave a child behind. The best teachers know this. And now we've overwhelmed teachers with new standards, exhausting our funds to make that happen, and we don't even know if the Core works, with some early learnings reportedly showing how it's ... just like my teacher friend said ... problematic.

"Don't Send Your Child to School Day" on November 18 to protest Common Core might be worth saying goodbye to perfect attendance. I'm looking forward for more answers (and maybe more questions) at my school's meeting.

What do you know about Common Core and what are your feelings on it? Will you participate in "Don't Send Your Child to School Day" to protest Common Core?

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I actually agree with Michelle on this. I would keep her home. I can't type right now, since I am driving. But I will come back on this.
pinkfairy0206
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I have not heard of this.
tifferie
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I haven't heard of my state doing common core. Hmm. Guess I will be calling the school.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
if common core were in Texas I absolutely would not participate in this protest.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

DD isn't school age yet, but rather in pre-school, but I have many friends whose kids are school age and are taught via Common Core (I live in NY).  It's IS a drastic change and parents with kids as young as first grade sit there baffled at what the kids have to do and can't even help them because they themselves have no clue what any of it is about.  I think Common Core puts a lot of pressure on kids very early and in the long-run, it will backfire on them.  Even at pre-school, they are teaching a lot and the teachers tell us it's because of all the requirements set forth under the new Common Core curriculum that they feel the need to teach and pressure the kids so early just to be prepared for kindergarten!

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
We are not a common core state. If we were to become a common core state I would research and become informed before making a judgment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeonGirl9583
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Never heard of it. l dont send my child to school on Mondays.
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Any monday? Is there a reason for that?

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in New York, and I won't be participating in it.

I would like to learn more about common core, though. I wasn't a fan of No Child Left Behind, is it similar to that? How does it stifle creativity?

NeonGirl9583
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM
They are on 4 day week and Monday is the extra weekend day as my kids call it. l hate it. kids go to school too long (from 7:30 until 4).

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Any monday? Is there a reason for that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)