Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was I in the wrong here, or did she over react? *Update* I QUIT!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 186 Replies

Poll

Question: Was I in the wrong here?

Options:

I think you were.

No, she overreacted.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 107

View Results

Update: His mom asked me to take him to school 4 days a week now instead of two and she would pay me $25 extra dollars a week. I agreed. Last week she only gave me $5 extra. She said she didn't have extra $ so I let it slide. This week she only gives me $5 extra again. I ask her what's going on? Is she going to pay me? She apologised a promised to give me $30 tonight. 

Well, tonight I get a call. *Mom* J told me you drive him to school instead of walk? *I was walking but it took too long so my dh began driving us*

*Me* Yes?

*Mom* I pay you by the hour, if you're not walking, I'm going to have to refigure the amount I pay you. I'm a single mother, I can't afford all this money.

*Me* If you can't afford it then why did you offer?

*Mom* I offered because I thought you were walking. 

*Me* Okay...either you have the money or you don't and I still have pay gas money.

*Mom* I have the money if you're walking and it's not my fault you drive a gas guzzler.

*Me* Look, you agreed to pay me a set amount  to get your children to and from school safely, My mode of transportation is irrelevent. Are you going to pay me or not?

*Mom* I think I'm going to have to find other arraingments.

*Me* Okay.

A half hour later she texts me saying that she has my money if I'm still interested. I told her thank you but don't worry about it. I'm DONE! The money is not worth the crazy I have to deal with.

I babysit a 14 (almost 15yo) Developmentally, he's normal. His mother is concerned the people might kidnap him or beat him up for being gay. He told me he's not gay and his mother believes him but apparently word got around that he is. My job is to walk with him while he takes his little sister to school and pick her up and to take him to and from school twice a week for an hour. He in an independent study program. Wanted to add here. When his mom is home, he's allowed outside but only in his front yard.

A couple times on the way home from school, I needed to stop by Walmart. It's right down the street so I thought nothing of taking him with me. He said he texted his mom and she said okay.

On Wednesday I went to house in the morning and found him looking like crap. He said his head was throbbing, he felt nausous, and the light hurt his eyes. I told him to go ahead and stay home, I'll text his mom and let her know. This was three hours before he had to be at school. I figured that would give her enough time to get back to me and say yea or nay. 3 1/2 hours later I get a text back. Wrong number. Shit. I had Jessie call his mom and tell her what happened and for to call me.

5 mins later, this is what I got. Who the Hell do you think you are, telling my son not to go to school! You are NOT his mother. I AM! *I try to talk here and get cut off* When I have to go to court for this shit I'm going to tell them it was the babysitter. YOU can go to jail! This is MY child, not yours! You need to talk to me, not him! And did you even get permission to take him to Walmart? No you did not. It's Flu season, he's not allowed to go out. He can get sick! That's probably why he's sick right now. I hung up right about here.

I saw her on Friday and she acted completely normal. Then, when I tried to talk to her about it she just said she knows she was a little stern with me but I need to abide by her rules.

Am I in the twilight zone?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM
8 moms liked this

Um, mom sounds off her freaking rocker. I think there is far more going on than this mom worrying about her kid getting beat up because people think he's gay. She sounds like a helicopter parent to the extreme. If I were you, I'd find a new "job."

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't understand this situation. His mom wants you as a bodyguard so her not gay son is safe?
emilysmom8
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

She sounds crazy! Id stay away from her

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I considered that but I really need the money. Idk. I'm thinking of stiking it out for a bit longer but if this becomes a habit, I'm going to drop her.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Um, mom sounds off her freaking rocker. I think there is far more going on than this mom worrying about her kid getting beat up because people think he's gay. She sounds like a helicopter parent to the extreme. If I were you, I'd find a new "job."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Essentially, yes.

Quoting Stephanie329:

I don't understand this situation. His mom wants you as a bodyguard so her not gay son is safe?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I'd stop babysitting for her. Period. 

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
You should have made contact with the mother not the son. You also should have made sure you were clear on what she feels is acceptable or not prior to taking this job. You already knew she was an over protective nut.
thenameshailie
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Well she does sound crazy, but I agree that the only person to let him stay home from school is her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM
5 moms liked this

Wow, that lady is WAY over-protective. The kid is developmentally normal, doesn't have health issues but has to be walked to school and from school and is only allowed outside in his front yard and he's nearly 15 yrs old???? How in the H...is that kid ever going to be able to function at all in society? Makes one wonder if she's still going to be employing people to take him to and from work when he's an adult, providing he's ever able to obtain a job in the first place. Surprising the kid goes along with it at all. Most kids that age that I've known would not be at all happy being "caged" and treated like a toddler, I'm surprised he hasn't totally rebelled in some way

I seriously think I'd be finding a different position for extra income. My Dd just turned 15 in Sept and she has her own babysitting job.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My 14 year old son is at least 3 inches taller than me. Are you supposed to physically protect him from other teens or just run interference with the presence of an adult?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)