Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Your Thighs Can Touch, Lululemon Pants Might Not Be Right for You

Posted by   + Show Post

If Your Thighs Can Touch, Lululemon Pants Might Not Be Right for You Founder blames fabric woes on 'some women's bodies'

If you're one of the many women who seem to be having problems with lululemon yoga pants, the brand's founder has a question for you: Have you considered blaming your thighs?

"Frankly, some women’s bodies just don’t actually work for it," Chip Wilson told Bloomberg Television during a discussion of the company's patented and problematic material, luon.

After having to recall 17 percent of its yoga pants earlier this year due to complaints they were see-through, the yoga retailer recently began hearing from customers having issues with pilling and torn seams

"It's about the rubbing through the thighs and how much pressure is there," he told Bloomberg's Street Smart program in the segment below. Here's how that's being translated today by bloggers, activists and angry customers: If you don't have thigh gap, you're not cut out for lululemon.

Wilson's statement comes on the heels of former employees accusing lululemon of discriminating against larger women by hiding its biggest sizes, 10s and 12s, out of plain sight. 

As you might expect, lululemon's Facebook page is being flooded today with complaints from customers who feel the brand is lowering its quality and trying to pin the blame on women's body types.

"Basically your company is saying, 'You should only have the pleasure of overpaying for our inferior product if you are super skinny,'" summarized one Facebook commenter. "It's not just that you think normal size women should not wear your crappy product, you believe thin women are dumb enough to pay for poor quality workout pants."

Via NPR.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Replies (101-110):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Exactly !

Quoting momtoscott:

If I bought $90 yoga pants, I would wind up skimping on things that I feel are much more important.   If I have $90 burning a hole in my pocket and need yoga pants, I can spend  $20-30 at Target and then have $70 to spend on clarinet reeds, or books, or theater tickets, etc.  

I buy yoga pants maybe once every couple of years, if even that often, though.   

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momtoscott:

There are better quality yoga pants at Target for 1/3 the price.  

Yes! I have two pairs of C9 by Champion yoga pants from Target and they aren't see through and they have strong seams. I have worn them since 2006 and they look almost brand new!  I would be very uncomfortable wearing those $90 yoga pants to Yoga class if I thought they were see-through or revealing at all,. Ewww.And I can't afford $90. yoga pants. Yikes!

joyfree
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

My stuff is incredibly comfortable, really cute, and long lasting.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Same here. I work out in an old pair of capri pants,Track pants or comfy shorts and an old tee shirt.  I would never pay $200 for an outfit I am going to sweat in.   Unless I am going to a formal event (wedding), I don't even pay that much for an outfit for a special occassion.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:I don't understand why people want to pay those prices for their workout gear. The best yoga and running pants I've ever had are from Old Navy. I'm not spending $200 on an outfit I'm only going to the gym or a class to sweat in, that's ridiculous.

But have you bought any RECENTLY? Apparently, they are trying to cut corners, IMO.
tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Pants 6 months ago.

Skirts and shirts this week.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Same here. I work out in an old pair of capri pants,Track pants or comfy shorts and an old tee shirt.  I would never pay $200 for an outfit I am going to sweat in.   Unless I am going to a formal event (wedding), I don't even pay that much for an outfit for a special occassion.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:I don't understand why people want to pay those prices for their workout gear. The best yoga and running pants I've ever had are from Old Navy. I'm not spending $200 on an outfit I'm only going to the gym or a class to sweat in, that's ridiculous.

But have you bought any RECENTLY? Apparently, they are trying to cut corners, IMO.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

So, can you see your thong like these chicks?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Pants 6 months ago.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

No.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Pants 6 months ago.

Quoting joyfree:
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

joyfree
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Perhaps it's only certain styles, then.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Pants 6 months ago.

Quoting joyfree:
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

allons.y
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Still a better company than Abercrombie & Fitch.   

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Maybe

Mine are well made.

That is all I can say about them.

Quoting joyfree:

Perhaps it's only certain styles, then.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Pants 6 months ago.

Quoting joyfree:
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I would rather spend my money on something else. 

MSJAP2010
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Well, I guess I won't be wearing them lol. Of course, I would never spend that much on a pair of pants lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured