Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christians Are Gays /Christians Love Gays

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 51 Replies

Did you know that many Christians are openly gay?

Did you know that many Christian churches welcome gays?

There are 24 churches in North America alone, that are LBGT-affirming Christian denominations.

Many are either major traditional denominations or offshoots of major denominations. Among the 24 include:

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Episcopal Church (United States)

Presbyterian Church (USA)

United Church of Christ

Ecumenical Catholic Church

Affirming Pentecostal Church International

The notion that Christians are gay-haters or homophobes is simply not true. While there are individual Christians who take the personal view that homosexuality is a sin, and while there are congregations where it is taught that homosexuality is a sin, those views are a small minority against the vast array of LBGT accepting parishes.

Even for those Christian churches that condemn homosexuality as a sin, it could be postulated that even fewer are actually homophobic or gay-hating. That is because Christ said the second most important commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself, and so, if you are Christian by most church's standards, you aren't supposed to hate anyone. If a Christian is someone who follows Christ, there shouldn't be many Christians that would argue that Christ's own words aren't the ultimate authority.

This does  not mean there aren't churches comprised of individuals that protest homosexuality in some ways, or that there aren't churches that condone protesting homosexuality. The goal of those people/churches is either in the loving effort to save individuals from what they believe is a sin (which is actually in their minds for the homosexual's benefit), and/or because they don't want what they consider a sin and a sexual deviation to become widely socially accepted, at the disadvantage (in their minds) of their children and the whole society.

A church or a group of people who call themselves Christian and set out to inflict emotional or physical pain on someone for being homosexual -no matter how this may be paraded by the media- is such an extreme minority that it is actually ridiculous to view all Christians in this manner.

It is actually more common to find a Roman Catholic priest accused of sexual molestation or of being secretly gay despite his vow of chastity, than it is to find a whole church that condones actively attacking a gay person like the Westboro Baptist people.

What Christians do you know personally that would do anything to hurt a homosexual ?

No matter your position on homosexuality, and no matter your position on Christianity, being both Christian and gay is not an oxymoron....because certainly with certainty...gay Christians exist en masse.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Looking4Truth
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I agree.  I'm Christian and I certaintly don't hate any gays at all.  God loves all of us....ALL of us!  Besides, Christians are taught not to judge anyone, and if they do so they are wrong in the eyes of the God they worship.  We need to learn to live and let live.

vic270
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

i know that many gays say that they are christians, but you cannot be an active gay person and a christian. you might be an erring christian but you can not be a christian by the word of God and live in sin. that goes for adultors, liars, prideful people etc.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Being a Christian does not mean you do not sin. It means you try to not sin and repent when you do. Also, some Christians do not believe same sex relations is a sin.

Quoting vic270:

i know that many gays say that they are christians, but you cannot be an active gay person and a christian. you might be an erring christian but you can not be a christian by the word of God and live in sin. that goes for adultors, liars, prideful people etc.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I was just stating facts.

Christianity is widely misrepresented.

Assumptions are often made about self-proclaimed Christians that are usually false, too.

On the issue of homosexuality, I'm in a very ambiguous state about it myself. it looks to me as if the Bible says it's a sin, but i have personal issues with this. I am possibly bi sexual. My dh is transgendered. I have had many flat-out homosexual friends throughout my life. So to me, if homosexuality is a sin, i would not stop loving the people I know who are homosexual. I would not outwardly condemn someone else for it, even if I condemned myself...because that's not my place. Even if God came down to me face to face and said it were a sin, I would have to accept that as a fact but that would not mean i'm any better than anyone because we are all sinners in one thing or another.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I agree.  I'm Christian and I certaintly don't hate any gays at all.  God loves all of us....ALL of us!  Besides, Christians are taught not to judge anyone, and if they do so they are wrong in the eyes of the God they worship.  We need to learn to live and let live.

Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
3 moms liked this

In Christianity it comes down to hate the sin, not the sinner. 

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Are you sinless?

you know you are not. but the difference, as you have stated, is that you repent.

i get that homosexuals are immersed in a lifestyle that the Bible says is a sin.

The thing is, many people interpret those passages differently.

are they interpreting the passages in a way that best suits them, rather than looking at the truth?

Perhaps. Or maybe they are just blind to what's plainly written. Some people are.

They can still call themselves Christian if their heart is in following Christ. I don't think gays follow Christ and then do so thinking they are sinning in their gay relationships. I think there must be many who are sincere.

Anyway, i shouldn't judge that.

All I know is, even those Christians who are not gay, many are welcoming. And of the Christian churches that are not gay and also not welcoming, I think most would be hardpressed to find any that would be actively hurtful to a gay person's feelings, especially with mal intent.

My post didn't give my opinion on homosexuality or set out to debate it. My post was intended to show people that the vast majority of Christian churches are not synonymous with people who, in their actions, are haters or extremists.

Quoting vic270:

vic270
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

i did not say that you do not sin if you are a christian, the bible says if we say we have no sin that we are a liar and the truth is not in us, that being said we are to strive to be like christ and you can not do that if you are knowingly engaging in sin. what do they do have sexual relations and repent every time? the bible says that no sin shall enter heaven and i take it for what it says.being a christian is more than lip service it has to come from the heart and if you keep doing the same sins over and over that is not true repentance if we are not truely repentant

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Being a Christian does not mean you do not sin. It means you try to not sin and repent when you do. Also, some Christians do not believe same sex relations is a sin.

Quoting vic270:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
If they do not believe it is a sin then how are they sinning?

Quoting vic270:

i did not say that you do not sin if you are a christian, the bible says if we say we have no sin that we are a liar and the truth is not in us, that being said we are to strive to be like christ and you can not do that if you are knowingly engaging in sin. what do they do have sexual relations and repent every time? the bible says that no sin shall enter heaven and i take it for what it says.being a christian is more than lip service it has to come from the heart and if you keep doing the same sins over and over that is not true repentance if we are not truely repentant

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting vic270:

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually agree with you on all those points.

What I'm saying is, Christians are often lumped together and represented as if we'd all be willing to go down to some fallen soldiers funeral and raise hell with his family because he was gay. Or that we all go carrying signs telling other people what specificy sty is in their eye, while we ignore the sty in our own eyes. (some versions call it a beam in your eye.

We're tauted as fearmongers, intolerant, oppressive, hateful and even dangerous.

the truth is, most major Christian denominations have sold out and core missions and beliefs have been compromised to suit the cultural climate we're in, rather than conform to what God says in the Bible in many places, is a righteous life.

But despite that Christian churches are harmless even to the broad spectrum of pagans and atheists and unaffiliateds out there, we're still promoted in popular culture as being bad for our society. it's just not the truth, to say Christians as a whole, as an organized group,  would hurt anyone.

Quoting vic270:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting vic270:

vic270
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

you can not be a christian and hate anyone you hate the sin. and no i strive everyday to live in a way to let my light shine, i do fail but i get up dust myself off and ask for forgiveness which the Lord is so willing to do. 

Quoting buttersworth:

Are you sinless?

you know you are not. but the difference, as you have stated, is that you repent.

i get that homosexuals are immersed in a lifestyle that the Bible says is a sin.

The thing is, many people interpret those passages differently.

are they interpreting the passages in a way that best suits them, rather than looking at the truth?

Perhaps. Or maybe they are just blind to what's plainly written. Some people are.

They can still call themselves Christian if their heart is in following Christ. I don't think gays follow Christ and then do so thinking they are sinning in their gay relationships. I think there must be many who are sincere.

Anyway, i shouldn't judge that.

All I know is, even those Christians who are not gay, many are welcoming. And of the Christian churches that are not gay and also not welcoming, I think most would be hardpressed to find any that would be actively hurtful to a gay person's feelings, especially with mal intent.

My post didn't give my opinion on homosexuality or set out to debate it. My post was intended to show people that the vast majority of Christian churches are not synonymous with people who, in their actions, are haters or extremists.

Quoting vic270:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured