Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Deadly Diseases Like Measles And Mumps Make Frightening Comeback

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 130 Replies
4 moms liked this

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Deadly diseases, once nearly wiped out, are making a frightening comeback in Maryland and across the country. Now — a warning that parents who don’t vaccinate their children are putting others at risk.

Linh Bui explores an alarming and controversial trend.

Measles, mumps, whooping cough — all deadly diseases. Until recently — virtually eliminated thanks to vaccines that prevent kids from getting sick.

But now doctors see an alarming trend — more and more people are coming down with these diseases.

“Kids die from measles on a regular basis. Kids are in hospitals and can die from whooping cough very commonly. So these kids are at risk,” said Dr. Scott Krugman, Chairman, Department of Pediatrics, MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center.

Here in Maryland, cases of whooping cough are skyrocketing — tripling from 123 cases in 2011 to nearly 370 last year. Outbreaks of measles and mumps have swept through states across the country.

Just how serious a problem is it when a child gets sick? Summer Robinson experienced it firsthand. Her son, Roarik, was just three-weeks-old when whooping cough put him in intensive care for five days and nearly killed him.

Bui: “When you went to the hospital and he was diagnosed with whooping cough, what went through your mind?”

Robinson: “You worry about, are they going to start breathing again? If they do start breathing, how long have they not been breathing? What are the side effects of that going to be? It’s just so scary.”

Too young for the recommended vaccine, Roarik was defenseless. He’s living proof one contagious person can start an outbreak.

“If your ten-year-old has it and you’re in Walmart near my three-week-old baby, you could essentially kill my three-week-old baby because you didn’t want to vaccinate your child,” said Johnson.

So, if these diseases can be prevented by a vaccine, why is a growing number of parents not getting their children the shots? Some fear the vaccines can do more harm than good.

“These vaccines and all of these doses also can be deadly,” an Annapolis mom said.

After researching vaccines and talking with doctors, an Annapolis mom decided not to vaccinate her young children. She asked WJZ to hide her identity because other parents are angry her kids could put their kids in danger.

Bui: “What happened that led you to make this decision not to vaccinate your kids?”

Annapolis mom: “It just didn’t’ make sense to me. I didn’t understand why a little human had to get so many drugs at one time.”

She believes her family’s healthy lifestyle will keep her children from getting sick. But most doctors insist that’s not enough.

“It doesn’t matter what vitamins they’re on, how healthy they are, how natural everything is, everything organic. It’s irrelevant. Your child is going to get sick,” said Dr. Krugman.

“You don’t ever want to go through that. You don’t ever want to be in an ICU now knowing if your child is going to live, especially over a disease that’s supposed to be preventable,” Johnson said.

In Maryland, children must be immunized to attend school, but can be exempt for medical or religious reasons.

Minnow Slayer

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the mumps as a child. Not a pleasant experience.  I had just turned 8, woke up NYE day screaming from the pain in my ears. Scared my poor family lol. But it's not something I would wish on anyone. I would hope parents woudl vax against the basics. Vaccines that have been around for generations,virtually wiped out some of these diseases. 

1Giovanni
by Becca on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM
6 moms liked this
You don’t ever want to go through that. You don’t ever want to be in an ICU now knowing if your child is going to live, especially over a disease that’s supposed to be preventable,” Johnson said
------------

You also don't want to be in a ICU not know if you child is going to die after having a vax that supose to help them. Both is a risk and it is up to the parent what risk they want to take.
sweetaspie630
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I did the basic vaccination schedule from years ago. MMR, staggered out and delayed, Polio, DTap, Pertussis, and that's about it. All the newer crap and dose after dose after dose is harmful. The

lga1965
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM
7 moms liked this

Thnak you for posting this. It is so important .

Somehow, coming out of the woodwork,there is a huge group of so-called "Doctors" and their blind followers who are trying to say that people with strong immune systems don't need any vaccinations. The truth is that they are dangerous people spreading dangerous faux medical information. Healthy people with strong immune systems get sick. ( and people who have reactions to vaccinations have ongoing health problems  that preceded their vaccinations..)

That is a crime. Vaccinations are life saving. When parents refuse to allow their children to be vaccinated, they are making a big mistake.

Not vaccinating could cause deaths of ordinarily very healthy children and adults.There were no mumps vaccinations when I got mumps from my kids in 1973. I was so sick and it took weeks to even feel normal, then months of being tired every single day. Adults need vaccinations and boosters. You don't want to take any chances.

lga1965
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting sweetaspie630:

I did the basic vaccination schedule from years ago. MMR, staggered out and delayed, Polio, DTap, Pertussis, and that's about it. All the newer crap and dose after dose after dose is harmful. The

You need boosters though. Otherwise you have wasted your time and money on getting the original vaccinations. Keep up with it. 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM
4 moms liked this

I gave my mom mumps for Christmas one year. That was before the vaccine. 

It sounds like the herd immunity is starting to fail with so many not vaccinating anymore.

sweetaspie630
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

when they are due for the boosters they will get them.

The only other vaccination I see fit to give them is the menengitis one. I had a dear friend who was fine one morning, got a headache and then died 12 hours later from menengitis.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting sweetaspie630:

You need boosters though. Otherwise you have wasted your time and money on getting the original vaccinations. Keep up with it. 

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
13 moms liked this
I'm also sick of the 'why do you care, your kids are vaxed'. Yes my kids are vaxed and at low to no risk, who is really being hurt is kids who are already at increased risk because of weaken or compromised immune systems.

Say there's an outbreak of whopping cough. My kids who are fully up to date on their immunizations will be fine. The non vaxed by choice kids who have normal immune systems may get sick, but will be able to fight it and will recover. But those kids who are not vaxed because of weakened or compromised immune systems will get sick, very sick, and have a much higher likelihood of dying.

I vax not only to protect my kids, but also to protect those who need the herd immunity to prevent outbreaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KhloesMom2009
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Are you suggesting that people should get vaccinated?

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
9 moms liked this
Hell may have just frozen over because I actually agree with you Carpy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN