Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would YOU sue for this?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 40 Replies

Woman Sues Boss for Making Her Pump Breast Milk Under Disgusting Conditions

by Maressa Brown

room bobbi bockoras told to pump One of the rooms where Bockoras was told to pump.A woman named Bobbi Bockoras has filed a lawsuit against her employer, Saint-Gobain Containers' glass factory in Port Allegany, Pennsylvania. Bockoras alleges that when she requested a sanitary space to pump, her bosses offered her various disgusting areas as options ...

First, she was sent to a bathroom, then to a first aid room where male staff members would regularly heckle and harass her (OMG!), after which came a room with glass walls and no lock on the door, a filthy shower room that had dead bugs on the floor, and finally, an old locker room, which "was covered in dirt and dead bugs" and without air conditioning -- which Bockoras notes "is serious, because temperatures can get up to 106 degrees on the factory floor." As if that wasn't enough, colleagues then greased the doorknob, and when she complained, her shifts were changed to nights and early mornings. Can you believe this?!

It's no wonder that as result of this horrifying experience, Bockoras says the stress caused her to stop producing milk altogether. So, so wrong.

Thank goodness Bockoras is being represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. This is a big freakin' deal! It's beyond inhumane. As Bockoras put it, "No woman should have to go through what I did simply to do what's best for her baby."

Some may argue we've come a long way as far as how employers are treating new moms in the workplace, but this is a scary (albeit extreme, perhaps?) example of how we still have a long way to go ... Sure, the Affordable Care Act states that new mothers are required to be allowed a reasonable amount of time to pump milk during work hours and that for the first year after giving birth, they must be offered a clean area, "other than a bathroom," not in view of any other employees. That's a start, but it's sadly clear not every employer is interested in abiding by the law. And that's one reason my fingers are crossed that Bockoras and the ACLU -- which has taken on her case pro bono -- win her battle and make a dent in a war that far too many women are still facing.

Would you agree that we still have a way to go when it comes to pumping breastmilk in the workplace?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Clearly we still have a way to go if these are the conditions under which she was expected to pump. My workplaces tried to be supportive of my pumping. However i knew of a social service agency that told an employee that if she pumped or nursed on site that she would be fired. I'm not sure if that was legal if the employer is small enough, but it certainly was immoral. I would sue the above company as well.
Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm appalled!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Terrible.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

That is just crazy!! Yes, I dang sure would!

girlfriendcj70
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Yes I would

jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I probably would, but not for monetary damages
activitymode
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I definitely would. more for the harassment and mistreatment as a woman than the breastfeeding by itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

That's insane. I'm glad our work place is very accepting of women who pump.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There is just no reason to be treated like that. 

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Not for the monetary value, but to bring awareness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN