Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think about this picture?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 45 Replies
3 moms liked this

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this

I concur whole heartily!!

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BUMP!

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Didn't we do this already?
But I do agree :)
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

LOL-probably did..I can never keep up

Quoting viv212:

Didn't we do this already?
But I do agree :)

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
5 moms liked this

"Habitat has successfully removed the stigma of charity by substituting it with a sense of partnership. The people who will live in the homes work side by side with the volunteers, so they feel very much that they are on an equal level."
-Jimmy Carter

It isn't that people don't want to use their tax dollars to help the poor, it is the ones that feel entitled and don't want to do anything to help themselves people have a problem with.  Even Jimmy Carter thought they should do more to help themselves.   That is one of the reasons I love Habitat, they are working with others to build their own home and paying for their own home minus all the interest from the bank fees.  My Church builds a habitat home every year as do most of the Churches in our area.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I like that program as well. If you want the house, you should invest your time and energy into it

Quoting candlegal:

"Habitat has successfully removed the stigma of charity by substituting it with a sense of partnership. The people who will live in the homes work side by side with the volunteers, so they feel very much that they are on an equal level."
-Jimmy Carter

It isn't that people don't want to use their tax dollars to help the poor, it is the ones that feel entitled and don't want to do anything to help themselves people have a problem with.  Even Jimmy Carter thought they should do more to help themselves.   That is one of the reasons I love Habitat, they are working with others to build their own home and paying for their own home minus all the interest from the bank fees.  My Church builds a habitat home every year as do most of the Churches in our area.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Exactly, they are getting a hand up, not a hand out.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I like that program as well. If you want the house, you should invest your time and energy into it

Quoting candlegal:

-Jimmy Carter

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

agree

D-Town
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
3 moms liked this
I disagree. Helping the poor was going on long before Christianity was established. The Egyptians used to have buildings at the entrance to the city where poor could go and get food. The Babylonians and Israelites would take in strangers who were in need. Even today many of the Bedouin tribes will take in those who are in need.

Helping the poor has nothing to do with any one religion.
jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a true statement.

Jesus also never said to make judgments about people before helping them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)