Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mommy question about a sick kiddo. Any nurses or Dr's here I'd appreciate your input.

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 13 Replies

So about 6 weeks ago my middle dd came down with the puke flu. Started as the cold/flu kind and then went into the pukey flu. It lasted about 5 days. All 3 of them got it including me. Everything was okay for a week, then we got round 2. This time the lower region was involved too. That last a few days. Again all was fine. However, my middle dd can't seem to get rid of it completely. She seems fine, then a smell makes her nauseous, she pukes and then ends up in the bathroom for 30 minutes or so, takes her an hour or two to recover and then she's hungry again. It always happens when she eats. This is happening about every 4 to 5 days. I have no idea what the issue is. The last time we saw the Dr. He said it can take 10-12 days for this gastro virus to be completely gone and for your system to return to normal. (That was 2 weeks ago) But this for her won't go away. 

It happened again last night after her gym meet. She was very weak at her meet and had the worst meet ever. She looked lethargic, like her muscles wouldn't work. I called the Dr. A bit ago and said I think she need to be seen. The Dr. Called me back and said wait another week or so and watch it. Well, this is going on week 6 and I think she may need some blood work done. Not a week or so from now. This isn't normal.

She was diagnosed at 3 with borderline type 1 diabetes, but it seemed to fix itself. Is it possible that's what we are seeing? Has anyone else ever come across this? 

Thoughts? 

Thanks! 

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

was she sick before you took her to her gym meet?  

If she is puking and has diarrhea she could be quite dehydrated which will exacerbate the symptoms.  (lethargic, muscle fatigue).  

If this has been going on as long as you mentioned you may want to take her in and have her checked.   

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

No. She was fine. That's what's so frustrating. She acts completely normal, eats, and then this. It happens every few days lately. I did call and said I thought she needed to be seen, but the Dr just told me to watch it. She wasn't dehydrated. She drinks a crap ton of water and the last time this happened prior to last night was last Tuesday. It happens, then she's fine for a few days. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

If she is puking and has diarrhea she could be quite dehydrated which will exacerbate the symptoms.  (lethargic, muscle fatigue).  

If this has been going on as long as you mentioned you may want to take her in and have her checked.   

SageAdvice
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a bad virus ( flu like ) going around, that can take up to 6 weeks to fully recover from. Symptoms seem to come and go.

That being said, if you are worried and do not feel your childs doctor is giving her proper medical care, or if you feel your doctor has missed something , take her to the largest city close to you that has a nationally recognized Childrens Hospital, with an emergency room.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Luckily I live in a large city with an awesome children's hospital. Thanks. I didn't know that about the flu lasting for 6 weeks. It's nuts. She's missed 10 days of school (or I have been called to check her out) for getting sick. 

Quoting SageAdvice:

There is a bad virus ( flu like ) going around, thatcan take up to 6 weeks to fully recover from. Symptoms seem to come and go.

That being said, if you are worried and do not feel your childs doctor is giving her proper medical care, or if you feel your doctor has missed something , take her to the largest city close to you that has a nationally recognized Childrens Hospital, with an emergency room.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I'm not a doctor or a nurse but my youngest had a stomach flu over the summer that I really started to think wasn't the stomach flu. It was a good month before he could stomach eating anything beyond really bland foods. Plus he kept getting dizzy. One day he just woke up and it seemed to magically correct and he felt much better. I am a firm believer in "mommy knows best" though and if your gut is telling you it's something worse just take her in. Hope she feels better soon :(
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Has she had a stool culture done?

KhloesMom2009
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The same thing seems to happen with my daughter and we have to follow the BRAT diet for two weeks after a flu with diarrhea and vomiting. I'm sorry! I hope she starts to fell better soon!

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

the issue with water is with the diarrhea/vomiting she is losing more electrolytes than wanter can replace.  She may need something to help replace the salt she is losing.  

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

No. She was fine. That's what's so frustrating. She acts completely normal, eats, and then this. It happens every few days lately. I did call and said I thought she needed to be seen, but the Dr just told me to watch it. She wasn't dehydrated. She drinks a crap ton of water and the last time this happened prior to last night was last Tuesday. It happens, then she's fine for a few days. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Cafe Amanda
by Group Admin on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I'd be worried too at this point. Poor kiddo. I hope you get some answers!

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Luckily I live in a large city with an awesome children's hospital. Thanks. I didn't know that about the flu lasting for 6 weeks. It's nuts. She's missed 10 days of school (or I have been called to check her out) for getting sick. 

Quoting SageAdvice:

There is a bad virus ( flu like ) going around, thatcan take up to 6 weeks to fully recover from. Symptoms seem to come and go.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

No. I called this am and told him this is still coming back every so often. He told me to watch it for another week or so. I'm not comfortable with waiting. My other two are fine, it's her that is still having issues. It's weird. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Has she had a stool culture done?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)