Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ignorance Breeds Ignorance

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never heard anyone call a starving African lazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Me either.

But it makes some people feel better to say that about others.

Quoting Paperfishies:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this
I have never seen anyone say ANY starving person is lazy. Generally the accusation of "lazy" is leveled at people who it is perceived will not help themselves, not at those who it is perceived can not.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Me either.

But it makes some people feel better to say that about others.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the point is that one does not have to be lazy in order to be poor.  Even in America.  But I agree, it is kind of an unlikely comparison. 

Every time I see pictures like that I wonder what I can do.  Have you guys heard of the charity Heifer International?  I donate to them and to subsidiary charities, but it just never seems like enough.  Its upsetting to me because we can already feed 10 billion people, yet we have only 7 billion and millions die every year from starvation and complications of poor nutrition.  I don't understand how it happens.  Americans waste 40% of their food supply somewhere down the line from harvest to leftovers, and yet we have hungry children right here in America. 

Its very upsetting to me.  I just have to donate to my preferred charities and try not to think about it too much because it is a daunting problem and it is so heartbreaking.

lga1965
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is tasteless and ignorant in itself. The photo/meme makes me sick.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Share Our Strength is a charity that works to end childhood hunger in the USA. I also like Mazon & any group run by the Mennonite Central Committee.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I think the point is that one does not have to be lazy in order to be poor.  Even in America.  But I agree, it is kind of an unlikely comparison. 

Every time I see pictures like that I wonder what I can do.  Have you guys heard of the charity Heifer International?  I donate to them and to subsidiary charities, but it just never seems like enough.  Its upsetting to me because we can already feed 10 billion people, yet we have only 7 billion and millions die every year from starvation and complications of poor nutrition.  I don't understand how it happens.  Americans waste 40% of their food supply somewhere down the line from harvest to leftovers, and yet we have hungry children right here in America. 

Its very upsetting to me.  I just have to donate to my preferred charities and try not to think about it too much because it is a daunting problem and it is so heartbreaking.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate memes.

Did I ever mention that before?

I really, really hate memes.

muslimah
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

You are right it is over exaggerated but I think to get peoples attention in smart ass kind of way. We are required to make zakat charity every year. We have to pay 2.5 % of what ever is left over out of a years earning to go to the poor.

We also have sadaqua which is voluntary charity that goes to support Muslims and non Muslims. Most of us also have our own regular charities that we make sadaqua for as it is very important in Islam.

My self I start with people I know personally. There have been several here on Cafe mom over the years I have made my charity to and later this morning I am off to the post office to send a much needed package to a FB friend in Tennessee and after I know those who I know personally don't need anything I mostly donate to Gaza and surrounding areas where their are Palestinians who need help or i send to Iraq.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM

No child should go hungry regardless of the situation. 

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I have heard people ask, "What is wrong with Africa?!" (meaning Africans)  That way, they can blame Africans for starving children. Not politics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)