Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does Worship of Nothing by Atheists 'Prove' Existence of God?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 53 Replies

Atheists 'Prove' Existence of God With Worship of Nothing

by Jenny Erikson

Have you heard about the hip new thing in spirituality? The atheist church. I know -- talk about your oxymorons. It seems to me to be “deeply superficial,” as the late great Andy Warhol once said about himself. Seriously -- what the heck are they worshipping?

The movement is called Sunday Assembly, and was founded by Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans as a way to “meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.”

I have absolutely nothing against Sunday Assembly. Their motto is Live Better, Help Often, Wonder More -- which I think it great philosophy for life. I try to live like that every day. Some days it’s easier than others.

But what I think is interesting about this movement is that it proves the existence of God in my mind.

More people are leaving behind traditional organized religion than ever before in modern history. According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, a full 20 percent of Americans claim no religious affiliation. That’s up from 15 percent from just five years ago.

But it seems that there’s a great yearning in our souls to be part of something bigger -- a part of the community. People want a place where they feel like they can belong, and celebrate worship something together. Even if that something is nothing.

Our hearts and minds want order in our chaotic lives and in the universe, and the fact that we have those longings leads me to believe that a creator placed them in us. That’s why I don’t believe in true atheism. I know there are atheists probably shaking their fists at the computer screen right now, ready to tell me how wrong I am. Go for it. You’re entitled to your opinion just I’m entitled to believe that everyone has, at some point or another, wondered where all of this came from. Once you start wondering where it came from, you’ve acknowledged that it had to come from somewhere.

So why do have this unquenchable desire as humans to relate to one another? To understand not only the hows of things, but the whys? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why is karma such a bitch? Why, why, WHY?

I think it’s to find deeper meaning in life -- and if there were no God, there’d be no deeper meaning. There would be nothing more to understand. We’d say, “Oh, that’s interesting,” and move on about our lives, not giving a whit about a deeper meaning, or a greater connection to our fellow planet-mates.

But we question things and we seek answers and we gather together -- even in atheist churches.

Do you believe in God?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM
17 moms liked this

Wanting social interaction with people of like mind is now 'proof of god'? I think that's reaching... a LOT.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM
13 moms liked this

Oh boy.  "Once you start wondering where it came from, you've acknowledged that it had to come from somewhere".

Ummm.....everything came from somewhere.  Atheists don't believe it came from a supernatural being.  The leaps in logic in this opinion piece are amazing.  That atheists may want to gather to have community, which is a human, natural feeling, doesn't "prove" God anymore than joining a book club proves God.

"the fact that we have those longings leads me to believe that a creator placed them in us.  That's why I don't believe in true atheism."  This is totally opinion with absolutely nothing concrete to back it.  She doesn't believe in atheism?  That does not stop people from not believing in her creator.

This piece is actually annoying LOL. 

angelenia
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Neat perspective. I am deeply spiritual so I would tend to agree with this premise from my personal perspective but I am really interested in what others have to say. Thanks for sharing, OP.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM
6 moms liked this
Yes i believe in G-d. I also believe in atheists. I also believe in stupid questions after being a member of CM for awhile. I believe this was one of the most ridiculous pieces i have ever read in CEHT & i believe it belonged in RD instead. Lame....
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
6 moms liked this
Nope. People who get together to discuss humanism, ways to give to their community, and sing secular songs are not (by any stretch of the imagination) proving the existence of any god. That's just silly and illogical. These atheists don't sound like they are worshiping nothing; they sound like they are celebrating humanity and life with like-minded individuals. But I guess if the deeper meaning in a person's life comes from their faith in the supernatural, then it might be hard for them to understand that deeper meaning can be found elsewhere.
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Clearly she doesn't understand atheism and how being an atheist can be lonely.

Quoting IhartU:

Wanting social interaction with people of like mind is now 'proof of god'? I think that's reaching... a LOT.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No deeper meaning to life without god? LOL 

Continuance and progression of the species.

Nothing more to understand? LMAO

We are curious by nature 

None of it denotes there is a god. You can be questioning and spiritual without a god. It's called philosophy.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Ah geeze.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
What a ridiculous assertion.

No deeper meaning without God? LOL

No...I don't believe in the Abrahamic deity called God. Don't really believe in any sentient, life-interfering deity at all, for that matter.
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Have you ever been to a Quaker church.  They're called meetings and everyone is silent.  You sit in silence.  There is no sermon.  You sit in silence to think, meditate or read and if moved you can stand up and speak.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN