Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Top Official Makes INSANELY Insensitive Comment About Rape?!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

Top Official Makes Insanely Insensitive Comment About Rape

by Jenny Erikson

Rape has become an epidemic in India, with local law enforcement officials being routinely criticized over their lax attitude toward sexual violence. It’s estimates that only four out of 10 rapes are even reported, due to failure of the police to take the accusations seriously.

They must get that attitude from Ranjit Sinha, the head of the Central Bureau of Investigation in India -- an organization similar to our FBI. On Tuesday night, he compared rape to unlicensed betting that should be “enjoyed” if it cannot be prevented.

At a conference, Sinha was asked if sports betting should be legalized in India, where it’s currently banned. He replied:

"Do we have the enforcement? It is very easy to say that if you can't enforce it, it's like saying if you can't prevent rape, you [should] enjoy it."

I almost kind of sort of get what he might be trying to say -- that is that you shouldn’t legalize and enjoy something that is inherently bad, but man oh man that’s a stupid analogy to make.

First of all, the fact that he could so cavalierly relate rape and sports betting is sickening. I am neither for nor against gambling, and I know a lot of people that feel the same way. Heck, Vegas wouldn’t exist if everyone viewed gambling as a widespread problem. Rape on the other hand -- you’re going to be hard pressed to find any decent person that thinks rape isn’t so bad.

Now let’s talk about the inappropriateness of even bringing it up in the context of what’s happening in his country right now. The majority of rapes go unreported as victims are stigmatized and ostracized in their communities after an attack, and a recent study showed that more than half of 40 rape cases acquitted by district courts in Delhi did so due to “police failure to perform adequate investigations.”

Sinha did apologize for the remark, but it’s not enough. The brutality in India against women needs to stop, and it needs to start from the top down. Instead of having such a nonchalant attitude toward rape, maybe top Indian officials could start taking it seriously.

Are you offended by his comments?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SiriSilasMom
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:55 AM

That is disgusting. 

codfish
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Wow...just wow
SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM
4 moms liked this

It appears that the comment is being taken completely backwards.

He is saying just because you can't stop something 100% of the time should you legalize it?

He is saying (of course not) one wouldn't say legalize rape simply because you can't stop it 100% of the time.

Be nice if people all ovr the world could

(1) - read

(2) - not look to be offended at every turn.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Still a really shitty comparison to make.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

He is saying just because you can't stop something 100% of the time should you legalize it?

He is saying (of course not) one wouldn't say legalize rape simply because you can't stop it 100% of the time.

(1) - read

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Yes it is but I think its being blown out of proportion. Bad comment, not bad enough for worldwide indignation.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

(1) - read

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Considering what's going on with his country? I disagree.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Yes it is but I think its being blown out of proportion. Bad comment, not bad enough for worldwide indignation.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

(1) - read

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
basically the same comment is how we ended up with Richards as governor of Texas.

I'm glad he said it so that we know where he stands and that we know he's a jackass.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree... 

Quoting paganbaby:

Considering what's going on with his country? I disagree.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

(1) - read

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Yes. Someone should go all Lisbeth Salander on his ass.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM
This.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

(1) - read

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN