Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of the Cruz post. Do Atheists have moral absolutes? Yes or no?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

If so, what are they? loveMyBoysK said we needed a differnt thread to address that. I'm curious. My atheist friends. Do you have moral absolutes and if so, from where? Just asking, don't jump the messenger. 

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM
11 moms liked this

It is entirely possible to live a moral and ethical life without being strangled by religion.  Just as it is possible for a religious person to be without ethics or morals.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Okay, but the question in the other thread was where do those morals come from? Where do they? Are there absolutes? 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

It is entirely possible to live a moral and ethical life without being strangled by religion.  Just as it is possible for a religious person to be without ethics or morals.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM

are you referring to grey areas in terms of deciding what is moral or ethical? (i dont know what post this is a soin off of)

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
What do you mean, moral absolutes?
I can't think of many Christian moral absolutes and most of those have become societal norms instead of having much in common with biblical times.
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM
4 moms liked this

What do you mean where do they come from?  They come from compassion and being taught the golden rule, which by the way was co-opted for the bible, another example of plagiarism in the bible.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Okay, but the question in the other thread was where do those morals come from? Where do they? Are there absolutes? 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Were there no moral absolutes prior to Churchianity?  Were Adam and Eve religious?  To which denomination did they belong?  Was "the law" given to them? 

Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM

What exactly are these so-called absolutes which those of the Christian denominations follow?

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
9 moms liked this
I don't think anybody has moral absolutes, quite frankly.
nixore
by Myk Elskling on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM
4 moms liked this

Absolutes?  Ehh, yes and no.  

I think it's immoral to kill someone, but not always.  Killing in self-defense, or defense of others, like a child, is not immoral, imo.

Lying is generally not okay, but could be appropriate in some circumstances.  

Rape is never, ever okay.  So I guess that's one. There is no real outside authority that I derive this moral absolute from.  It's just common sense that there is no real circumstance which could justify this.

I think humans have an innate sense of moral right and wrong.  Some of the particulars vary, largely due to the culture people grow up in.  As long as the basics, things that can negatively affect others (like murder, theft, etc.) are agreed upon within a society, things are good.  Other morals, like modesty, religious worship, language, etc, can and do vary widely.  I know of no reason to believe that all human morality originally comes from the bible or the ten commandments.  I don't think an outside source like that is necessary for humans to be good.  

A lot of things DO depend on situational ethics, and that's okay.  I think most of us can probably agree that even so, only mentally disturbed people would be able to justify horrific things like straight up murder, child sexual abuse, etc. 

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM
7 moms liked this

I'm a moral relativist. Basic human decency, a study of history, the human condition, and the study of culture, as well as the people around me all provide the basis for my moral code. 

But honestly, I think the vast majority of so-called Christian morals are relativistic as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN