Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I wonder if he really did just 'fall out'....

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 11 Replies

FAA: Fla. pilot says passenger fell into ocean

SHARE 191 28 39 COMMENTMORE

The Coast Guard and local authorities mounted an air-and-sea search around Miami and Biscayne Bay on Thursday after a pilot reported that a passenger had fallen from his small single-engine plane while in flight.

The Federal Aviation Administration said a pilot reported by radio to air traffic controllers that a passenger fell from an open door of his Piper PA 46 airplane around 1:30 p.m. as he was about 8 miles southeast of Tamiami Airport. The pilot landed at that airport without incident.

The Coast Guard was using a 33-foot speedboat to search the bay after darkness fell, Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios said. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue used helicopters to search during daylight, he said.

He said the search area was reduced in size by evening and that there were no reported sightings.

Authorities said there was no confirmation beyond the pilot's report.

Miami-Dade police spokesman Javier Baez said the pilot was cooperating with investigators. He said both the pilot and the passenger were adult men, and that the passenger "either fell or jumped'' while the plane was several miles offshore.

Baez characterized the search as a recovery operation. He said it was being handled as a death case by the department's homicide bureau.

The Miami-Dade Fire Rescue agency declined comment and referred inquiries to police.

FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the FAA alerted the U.S. Coast Guard and local authorities. She referred further questions to them.

The name of the pilot and passenger were not released. It was not known where the flight originated.

In a recording of the pilot's report, available on the website LiveATC.Net, he appears calm as he reports "mayday, mayday, mayday.''

"I have a door ajar and a passenger that fell down. I'm six miles from Tamiami," the pilot says.

"You said you've got a passenger that fell out of your plane?" the air traffic controller responds.

"That's correct, sir," the pilot responded. "He opened the back door and he just fell out the plane."

The aircraft, which was at an altitude of about 2,000 feet at the time of the call, is a high-performance single-engine plane that typically seats up to 6 people including the pilot.

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Wtf?

SageAdvice
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Most likely, it was SUICIDE,

Happens more than people know.

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SageAdvice:

So does murder... I know  if  someone  I had  in my plane  'fell out'  or  jumped... I would be extremely  upset...  not calm.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SageAdvice:

Agree. I think the guy planned this and the poor pilot was the unknowing "helper". Airplane doors don't open by themselves. As for the pilot remaining calm, anyone in an airplane better hope a pilot stays calm in an emergency situation because if he doesn't, the plane is going to end up being a splat of twisted metal somewhere
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Wacky. Withholding judgment until more details
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Who just falls out of a plane?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

yikes

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The pilot is supposed to remain calm. It's in the job description.

Quoting Bonnie_:

Quoting SageAdvice:

So does murder... I know  if  someone  I had  in my plane  'fell out'  or  jumped... I would be extremely  upset...  not calm.

jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Exactly. And I don't think the pilot would be able to force someone out of the plane very easily if at all. He wouldn't have been able to maintain control of the plane. I don't think it's common to have autopilot in small single engine planes.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Agree. I think the guy planned this and the poor pilot was the unknowing "helper". Airplane doors don't open by themselves. As for the pilot remaining calm, anyone in an airplane better hope a pilot stays calm in an emergency situation because if he doesn't, the plane is going to end up being a splat of twisted metal somewhere
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Weird... Gotta be more to the story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)