Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 221 Replies

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

A New Jersey waitress and former Marine says she was "offended" after a customer left an anti-gay note on a check in place of a tip because she is a lesbian.

Dayna Morales, a server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., said a family dining at the restaurant Wednesday night skipped the tip on their $93.55 bill and scribbled an explanation why.

READ: Tennessee Man Denies Writing N-Word on Red Lobster Receipt

"It says, 'I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life,'" Morales told ABC News station WABC-TV Thursday.

Morales, who has been waiting tables on and off for 10 years, said she never told the family she was gay when she introduced herself.

"Normal introduction, 'My name is Dayna. I'll be taking care of you.' Right away the mom looked at me and said, 'I thought you were going to say your name was Dan,'" Morales said.

READ: Customers Called 'Fat Girls' on Restaurant Bill

After she served the family their meal without further incident, she discovered the note on the bill. Morales sent a picture of the receipt to the "Have a Gay Day" Facebook page, where it has since elicited more than 2,000 comments.

"I was rather offended, mad," Morales said of the incident. "I didn't know how to react to that. I never thought that would ever happen."

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
20 moms liked this

I'm so disgusted by this.  This place is in the next town over from mine.  The manager posted on their facebook page how upset they were over the bill, which they have all seen.  They said Dayna is a great server and is a member of their family at the restaurant.  He also covered the 20% tip for her so that she didn't lose that money.  The manager also said that those people will not be welcome back in his restaurant again.  I love that!

Me and my friends just put together a girls night out next weekend to go to this place and give her a big ass tip!  I just hope she's working!

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I'll let you serve me but i won't treat you with dignity ans respect. Jesus wouldn't like that at all.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this

Another asshole using God to be a cheapskate.

KatLee42513
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
One doesn't have to agree with a lifestyle to give a tip. Her lifestyle has nothing to do with her serving abilities. This is the part I don't get. I could care less if you don't agree with her lifestyle but her serving your food has nothing g to do with her lifestyle.

Also - how do they knoe she's gay?????
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this

She looks like a gay, so she must be one!  It's a girl with short hair!  She must be gay!  <-- sarcasm, in case you were unsure.  :)

I think the idea behind it is that she doesn't want her to take that money to continue doing "gay" things.  Ya know, like buy groceries or pay her rent.

Quoting KatLee42513:

One doesn't have to agree with a lifestyle to give a tip. Her lifestyle has nothing to do with her serving abilities. This is the part I don't get. I could care less if you don't agree with her lifestyle but her serving your food has nothing g to do with her lifestyle.

Also - how do they knoe she's gay?????

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM
12 moms liked this

If you're going through the trouble to be an exceptional asshole in this day and age, be prepared for the consequences.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
These people are emboldened. They think their insults to servers are the equivalent of today's Christians sitting at the counter at Woolworths trying to get their rights back.
You know their rights to be rude in public, cheap, miserly, and a thief. Hiding behind a god so they don't have to think about the consequences of their actions. This will happen more, not less, since the homophobes have realized that they can no longer vote them back into the closet.
SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I didn't see where "God" was invoked, did I miss that?

Quoting Euphoric:

Another asshole using God to be a cheapskate.

Alysse24
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Tipping a waitress is purely voluntary. But a waitress in New Jersey was stiffed by her customers, and they left a note saying why, because she's gay.

It happened in the Somerset County Town of Bridgewater.

Dayna Morales is used to serving.

She served in the U.S. Marine Corps.

She's been serving tables on and off for the last 10 years.

Good service is her hallmark; she's always punctual, professional, and precise.

But Wednesday night at the Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, New Jersey where Dayna works, one family skipped the tip and they left behind a legible explanation.

"I was rather offended, mad. I didn't know how to react to that. I never thought that would ever happen," said Dayna Morales, a server.

Dayna says she knew it was going to be a problem the moment she introduced herself.

"Normal introduction. 'My name is Dana . I'll be taking care of you.' Right away the mom looked at me and said, 'I thought you were going to say your name was Dan,'" Morales said.

Still she served the family of four with no problem.

But when it came time to pay the $93 bill, the family told Dayna they weren't leaving her a tip.

They said it not to her face, but on a piece of paper.

"It says, 'I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life,'" Morales said.

Dayna kept the note that was written on the receipt and shared it with friends on Facebook and a few blogs provoking supportive responses.

Dayna is openly gay but she never shared that with the family.

Dayna says her sexual preference has no connection to how she serves a table.

She says she did her job and deserved a tip.

She can defend democracy overseas as a Marine but can't get a tip in New Jersey in this instance because she's gay.

"It wasn't he said, she said. They actually wrote it, proof they said it," Morales said.

Of course Eyewitness News wanted to know who the family is but that's something the restaurant couldn't share because it's private.

Meanwhile, Dayna says if she were to see the family again, she wouldn't say a word because she doesn't respond to ignorance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN