Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

Posted by   + Show Post

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

A New Jersey waitress and former Marine says she was "offended" after a customer left an anti-gay note on a check in place of a tip because she is a lesbian.

Dayna Morales, a server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., said a family dining at the restaurant Wednesday night skipped the tip on their $93.55 bill and scribbled an explanation why.

READ: Tennessee Man Denies Writing N-Word on Red Lobster Receipt

"It says, 'I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life,'" Morales told ABC News station WABC-TV Thursday.

Morales, who has been waiting tables on and off for 10 years, said she never told the family she was gay when she introduced herself.

"Normal introduction, 'My name is Dayna. I'll be taking care of you.' Right away the mom looked at me and said, 'I thought you were going to say your name was Dan,'" Morales said.

READ: Customers Called 'Fat Girls' on Restaurant Bill

After she served the family their meal without further incident, she discovered the note on the bill. Morales sent a picture of the receipt to the "Have a Gay Day" Facebook page, where it has since elicited more than 2,000 comments.

"I was rather offended, mad," Morales said of the incident. "I didn't know how to react to that. I never thought that would ever happen."

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
lisajo76
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Her sexual orientation has nothing to do with the service he received. Why don't people just shut their mouths and do what's right?! I'm so tired of these self righteous goons that give themselves a license to pass judgement. Grrr.
SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I agree, which is why IMO the server should be fired as a consequence. I don't condone personal attacks on her. It is odd how people are quick to personally attack an anonymous or possibly nonexistent person. Unfortunately posting receipts with these kinds of comments has become a way for many to get attention and make a lot of money.
Quoting krysstizzle:

If you're going through the trouble to be an exceptional asshole in this day and age, be prepared for the consequences.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

So it is your position that the people who insulted her and used her (if they didn't want to pay her for her service, they should have requested someone else to serve them) are not the assholes here but the person who complained about being so ill-treated is?

She didn't name the assholes, she just showed that they existed.  Somewhere.

It's borderline.

zianneaaliyah
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I may just have to go check out this place, when I go back to NJ, for standing up for their employee and not allowing these assholes back into their establishment. 

Quoting pansyprincess:

I'm so disgusted by this.  This place is in the next town over from mine.  The manager posted on their facebook page how upset they were over the bill, which they have all seen.  They said Dayna is a great server and is a member of their family at the restaurant.  He also covered the 20% tip for her so that she didn't lose that money.  The manager also said that those people will not be welcome back in his restaurant again.  I love that!

Me and my friends just put together a girls night out next weekend to go to this place and give her a big ass tip!  I just hope she's working!

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I agree, which is why IMO the server should be fired as a consequence. I don't condone personal attacks on her. It is odd how people are quick to personally attack an anonymous or possibly nonexistent person. Unfortunately posting receipts with these kinds of comments has become a way for many to get attention and make a lot of money.
Quoting krysstizzle:

If you're going through the trouble to be an exceptional asshole in this day and age, be prepared for the consequences.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

So it is your position that the people who insulted her and used her (if they didn't want to pay her for her service, they should have requested someone else to serve them) are not the assholes here but the person who complained about being so ill-treated is?

LOL, so if I show you a note from God, that will be proof He exists? The only thing we have PROOF of is this young woman posting a signed receipt on the internet. We have no proof of who wrote the comments.
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't know what religious means?  The only other people that seems to be against homosexuality besides religious folks are old people who are just ignorant and don't handle change well.

These people were whining for religious reasons.  Everyone knows it.  Obviously we can't confirm it without tracking them down. 

I expect someone like you to try and make excuses for their behaviour though.  So feel free to continue on. 

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I don't even know what "the religious" means.

Not everyone who doesn't approve of the Homosexual lifestyle and agenda is religious, that is simply a fact.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope.  Can you name anyone but the religious who are obsessed with homosexuality?

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Anyone?

Is religion mentioned anywhere in the story - or is this simply a chance to bash religion?

(if it is written there and I missed it, just point to it).

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL, so if I show you a note from God, that will be proof He exists? The only thing we have PROOF of is this young woman posting a signed receipt on the internet. We have no proof of who wrote the comments.

Her boss believes her.  She didn't run to the media, the story sort of "floated" up because of interest from the FB places she did share it.

Fascinating to see how people line up on stories, and what they are willing to believe and what they are willing to give a pass on.

This woman served her country and has been at this restaurant for 10 years.  Now all of a sudden she is inventing a story for....I'm not sure for what.

SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You're good at this, maybe you know.

Did they look religious, like she looked gay?

Oh wait, I don't think we saw a picture of them.

So what led you down that very narrow path?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

These people are emboldened. They think their insults to servers are the equivalent of today's Christians sitting at the counter at Woolworths trying to get their rights back.
You know their rights to be rude in public, cheap, miserly, and a thief. Hiding behind a god so they don't have to think about the consequences of their actions. This will happen more, not less, since the homophobes have realized that they can no longer vote them back into the closet.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe.  But I know the restaurant.  I know the area.  And the manager she said she brought it right over to him to see it, and she was visible shaken.  I understand that you anti-gay folks will say anything to find a reason to not support a gay person.  But jeez ... it's kinda just mean at this point.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
How many years have you worked as a server?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I never stated, anywhere that I condoned their behavior, I don't, same as I don't condone the religion haters in this thread that have jumped to conclusions that are not warranted.

I'm non-hypocritical like that.

Quoting pansyprincess:

You don't know what religious means?  The only other people that seems to be against homosexuality besides religious folks are old people who are just ignorant and don't handle change well.

These people were whining for religious reasons.  Everyone knows it.  Obviously we can't confirm it without tracking them down. 

I expect someone like you to try and make excuses for their behaviour though.  So feel free to continue on. 

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I don't even know what "the religious" means.

Not everyone who doesn't approve of the Homosexual lifestyle and agenda is religious, that is simply a fact.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope.  Can you name anyone but the religious who are obsessed with homosexuality?

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Anyone?

Is religion mentioned anywhere in the story - or is this simply a chance to bash religion?

(if it is written there and I missed it, just point to it).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)