Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

Posted by   + Show Post

NJ Diner Leaves Anti-Gay 'Tip' for Lesbian Waitress

A New Jersey waitress and former Marine says she was "offended" after a customer left an anti-gay note on a check in place of a tip because she is a lesbian.

Dayna Morales, a server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., said a family dining at the restaurant Wednesday night skipped the tip on their $93.55 bill and scribbled an explanation why.

READ: Tennessee Man Denies Writing N-Word on Red Lobster Receipt

"It says, 'I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life,'" Morales told ABC News station WABC-TV Thursday.

Morales, who has been waiting tables on and off for 10 years, said she never told the family she was gay when she introduced herself.

"Normal introduction, 'My name is Dayna. I'll be taking care of you.' Right away the mom looked at me and said, 'I thought you were going to say your name was Dan,'" Morales said.

READ: Customers Called 'Fat Girls' on Restaurant Bill

After she served the family their meal without further incident, she discovered the note on the bill. Morales sent a picture of the receipt to the "Have a Gay Day" Facebook page, where it has since elicited more than 2,000 comments.

"I was rather offended, mad," Morales said of the incident. "I didn't know how to react to that. I never thought that would ever happen."

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Replies (191-200):
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure, dear, you care so little about what we think of your opinions that you just keep responding to "make sure" we a know how little you care about what we say. ROTFLMAO!! Okily dokily, smokily!!

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Believe whatever you like. Unlike most people, your opinion/belief doesn't affect me and my life. :D

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

It is not that obvious, in context, that you (specific) meant you (general). Calling her names when she did nothing but civilly disagree with you belies your "eh, I do not care what you think" claims.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

No. It shows annoyance at someone not being able to see the "generic you" instead of feeling personally spoken to.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The fact that you called her a moron belies that assertion.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

And don't care what your opinion is.

See there. :) See how that works.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Generic "you" moron. I wasn't speaking TO YOU or ABOUT YOU. You're the one with the problem.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Why does what someone says hurt you? Don't you know yourself well enough to know who & what you are to the point of not caring? It's pathetic. Not a single thing anyone could say about me that would OFFEND me! It doesn't matter nor do those who say it. So why be bothered? 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

I'm so sick of people being "offended".

I'm sick of people being purposefully hurtful and offensive.

You have a reading comprehension problem.  

I didn't say "I" was hurt or offended.  It is hard, actually, to hurt or offend me, at least by strangers.  Close people can do it, because I care what they think or say.

But I am empathetic and understand that other people have different sensibilities.  Other people do get offended and hurt by other people's behavior.

I don't like it.

It is a shame you don't have any empathy.  If you did, your attitude would be different (and far better than it is).

To be clear, I am not hurt or offended that you name called.

I am only pointing out that you negate anything you have to say when you do so.

Are you really a grown up?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM
If someone walked up to you and told you that your child was the most ugly kid they have ever seen you wouldn't take offense to that? Even though you know that that isn't a true comment you wouldn't be the least bit hurt that someone thought that about your child?

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Believe whatever you like. Unlike most people, your opinion/belief doesn't affect me and my life. :D

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:It is not that obvious, in context, that you (specific) meant you (general). Calling her names when she did nothing but civilly disagree with you belies your "eh, I do not care what you think" claims.
Quoting kaylamom2004:

No. It shows annoyance at someone not being able to see the "generic you" instead of feeling personally spoken to.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:The fact that you called her a moron belies that assertion.
Quoting kaylamom2004:

And don't care what your opinion is.

See there. :) See how that works.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Generic "you" moron. I wasn't speaking TO YOU or ABOUT YOU. You're the one with the problem.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Why does what someone says hurt you? Don't you know yourself well enough to know who & what you are to the point of not caring? It's pathetic. Not a single thing anyone could say about me that would OFFEND me! It doesn't matter nor do those who say it. So why be bothered? 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

I'm so sick of people being "offended".

I'm sick of people being purposefully hurtful and offensive.

You have a reading comprehension problem.  

I didn't say "I" was hurt or offended.  It is hard, actually, to hurt or offend me, at least by strangers.  Close people can do it, because I care what they think or say.

But I am empathetic and understand that other people have different sensibilities.  Other people do get offended and hurt by other people's behavior.

I don't like it.

It is a shame you don't have any empathy.  If you did, your attitude would be different (and far better than it is).

To be clear, I am not hurt or offended that you name called.

I am only pointing out that you negate anything you have to say when you do so.

Are you really a grown up?

SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don't agree with Kitty on this one. ( I agree with you).

However my original comment was that no one was defending them doing it.

I think I am still accurate.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yes, her defense is "they did not do it" supported by zero evidence that the waitress is lying, while the waitresses story is bolstered by the fact that she went to her boss right away and he said she eemed shaken AND believed her so completely that he paid her tip AND determined the family (aka: paying customers) are no longer welcome. Logic and critical thinking, both of which I know her to have when she chooses to engage them, suggest strongly the customer in fact did writw that nasty note. Leading me to conlude she knows perfectly well that the evodence points to the waitress telling the truth but refuses to acnowledge bad behavior on the part of those who very likely discriminated against a gay woman.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

The way you just described it is - Kitty is NOT defending their actions - Kitty is saying it didn't happen.

Two different things, no?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Wrong. Kitty is defending the behavior by saying the waitress is likely lying and should be fired for posting a receipt with ZERO personal info on it. Thing is, if someone stiffed a waitress and left a note saying "sorry, I can not leave you a tip because I do not support your belief in a Sky Daddy", Kitty would go ballistic, screaming about the unfair persecution and not even consider the waitress could be making it up. And MOST women who are here supporting the Marine would ALSO be supporting the Christian.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Might be a little hyperbole there, she wasn't given 20 extra dollars for doing her job.

Not like she had a fire hose turned on her for serving food  while gay.

Quoting jllcali:

But but but she's wrong for being unhappy with being discriminated against, and even wronger for having the audacity to even mention being upset about being discriminated against. She should have just shut up and kept her mouth shut because it's not fair to the anti-gay crowd when blatant examples of discrimination against gays are talked about, because then the anti-gay crowd can't claim no one treats gays poorly.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I agree, which is why IMO the server should be fired as a consequence. I don't condone personal attacks on her. It is odd how people are quick to personally attack an anonymous or possibly nonexistent person. Unfortunately posting receipts with these kinds of comments has become a way for many to get attention and make a lot of money.

Quoting krysstizzle:

If you're going through the trouble to be an exceptional asshole in this day and age, be prepared for the consequences.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

So it is your position that the people who insulted her and used her (if they didn't want to pay her for her service, they should have requested someone else to serve them) are not the assholes here but the person who complained about being so ill-treated is?

She didn't name the assholes, she just showed that they existed.  Somewhere.

LOL, so if I show you a note from God, that will be proof He exists? The only thing we have PROOF of is this young woman posting a signed receipt on the internet. We have no proof of who wrote the comments.

Her boss believes her.  She didn't run to the media, the story sort of "floated" up because of interest from the FB places she did share it.

Fascinating to see how people line up on stories, and what they are willing to believe and what they are willing to give a pass on.

This woman served her country and has been at this restaurant for 10 years.  Now all of a sudden she is inventing a story for....I'm not sure for what.

Yeah, it was nice of them to allow her to work for the server wage of $2.13 to take their order and serve them their meal.  Now that you mention it, it's kind of sucky for her to have expected to be treated nicely in return.

No where, have you seen anyone here defend their actions.

If she has been there 10 years, she is probably a good server - thank her for her service to the country and give her an appropriate tip.

Dont- use the story to scream discrimination or to bash religion.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Thanks. I guess it's possible she started working at 12. ( "I was offended. I was mad at first, and then I was more so hurt," 22-year-old Dayna Morales told CNN. Morales, who did a tour with the Marine Corps between 2009 and 2011, said she has been "out open and proud for years," but "never discussed with them (the family) anything; it was their pure assumption."
Quoting lizzielouaf:

It states in the OP she has been a server on and off for 10 years.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Where did you read she had worked there for 10 years? She is only 22 and has served 2 years in the Marines. I'm not saying she did in fact write the note, my point is there have been a lot of these type of incidents being posted on social media.
Quoting baileymarie723:

All personal information was blocked out, and the signature couldn't be read. She worked in the restaurant for 10 years why would she have any reason to write the note herself for attention now when she could have done it YEARS ago? Besides that I am sure her boss knows her handwriting after 10 years, and would have noticed if she wrote the note herself.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So the establishment gave their approval for her to post a signed receipt? I would never be a patron of such an establishment. Who is to say the server didn't write the note? If she is capable of posting the note on social media for attention it would also seem possible she wrote the note for attention.

Quoting pansyprincess:

All the personal information was taken off the receipt ... all you see is what they wrote, and their eligible signature.  All other #s are blurred out.

Luckily the establishment is supporting her, they paid her out of pocket for the tip money, and they said the family who did this would not be welcome back there.

A good way to make sure your server doesn't post your judgemental asshole comments is to NOT MAKE THEM.  But sure, blame the woman who was treated poorly.  Good on ya!

Quoting 12hellokitty:I agree, which is why IMO the server should be fired as a consequence. I don't condone personal attacks on her. It is odd how people are quick to personally attack an anonymous or possibly nonexistent person. Unfortunately posting receipts with these kinds of comments has become a way for many to get attention and make a lot of money.

Quoting krysstizzle:

If you're going through the trouble to be an exceptional asshole in this day and age, be prepared for the consequences.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What do you know another whining server.  She should be fired for posting picture of personal information.  

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Actually I missed the part she is only 22...her already being a server for 10 years does not make any sense.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Thanks. I guess it's possible she started working at 12. ( "I was offended. I was mad at first, and then I was more so hurt," 22-year-old Dayna Morales told CNN. Morales, who did a tour with the Marine Corps between 2009 and 2011, said she has been "out open and proud for years," but "never discussed with them (the family) anything; it was their pure assumption."
Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Where did you read she had worked there for 10 years? She is only 22 and has served 2 years in the Marines. I'm not saying she did in fact write the note, my point is there have been a lot of these type of incidents being posted on social media.
Quoting baileymarie723:

All personal information was blocked out, and the signature couldn't be read. She worked in the restaurant for 10 years why would she have any reason to write the note herself for attention now when she could have done it YEARS ago? Besides that I am sure her boss knows her handwriting after 10 years, and would have noticed if she wrote the note herself.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So the establishment gave their approval for her to post a signed receipt? I would never be a patron of such an establishment. Who is to say the server didn't write the note? If she is capable of posting the note on social media for attention it would also seem possible she wrote the note for attention.

Quoting pansyprincess:

All the personal information was taken off the receipt ... all you see is what they wrote, and their eligible signature.  All other #s are blurred out.

Luckily the establishment is supporting her, they paid her out of pocket for the tip money, and they said the family who did this would not be welcome back there.

A good way to make sure your server doesn't post your judgemental asshole comments is to NOT MAKE THEM.  But sure, blame the woman who was treated poorly.  Good on ya!

Quoting 12hellokitty:I agree, which is why IMO the server should be fired as a consequence. I don't condone personal attacks on her. It is odd how people are quick to personally attack an anonymous or possibly nonexistent person. Unfortunately posting receipts with these kinds of comments has become a way for many to get attention and make a lot of money.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That's it! Religion aside. Ask for another server, don't use it as an excuse not to tip. Dirt Balls imo.

Quoting worwalkerlds:

She wasn't too gay to serve their food or bring their drinks but was too gay to tip. Just an excuse to not tip!

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Also noticed the restaurant has only been open for 2 months.  I bet with all the publicity business is booming...

3:19 PM, Sep. 12, 2013

From the heavy wood doors to the hand-painted murals and the sushi bar with a solid redwood counter top, Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater strives to impress. Of the restaurant, opened for just about a month, General Manager Byron Lapola said, "This is an upscale Asian fusion restaurant, and we also have a lot of culture mixed in."

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Actually I missed the part she is only 22...her already being a server for 10 years does not make any sense.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting baileymarie723:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

usmchoney
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Oh, look another piece of trash!

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Not only did this resturant just open a few months ago, but it has received poor reviews ith many complaints about the manager and waitstaff.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN