Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

College Is Free After You Have A Baby, And Other Lies That ‘Crisis Pregnancy Centers’ Tell Real Women

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 40 Replies

College Is Free After You Have A Baby, And Other Lies That ‘Crisis Pregnancy Centers’ Tell Real Women

NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 1:13 PM

Crisis pregnancy centers, or CPCs, are notorious for spreading misinformationabout women’s health care. Often touted as viable alternatives to nonpartisan health clinics, they actually function as front groups for the anti-abortion agenda, using shame-based messages and sometimes outright lies to dissuade women from choosing to end a pregnancy. Nonetheless, they often receivefinancial support from conservative lawmakers, and more than half the statesin the U.S. funnel money directly to them.

NARAL Pro-Choice America has been working to hold CPCs accountable for years, and occasionally conducts undercover investigations to expose the misinformation that CPC employees are disseminating to their patients. On Monday, the group launched a national week of action to spark more widespread conversation about the underhanded tactics used by CPCs. NARAL partnered with the Feminist Majority Foundation and campus activist groups to launch the week long campaign, which involved petition drives, letter writing campaigns, documentary screenings, and a Tumblr devoted to collecting women’s stories about their own experiences at these right-wing “clinics.”

Five days later, NARAL has collected quite a few of those stories. Here are just a few examples of the type of information that women encounter at CPCs, even though they walked into the clinic assuming that they would obtain unbiased medical advice:

call out cpc 6

CREDIT: HTTP://EXPOSINGFAKECLINICS.TUMBLR.COM/

call out cpc 3

call out cpc 7

call out cpc 4

call out cpc 5

call out cpc 8

“Women who seek information about their health-care options deserve honest information — not lies and scare tactics,” Ilyse Hogue, NARAL’s president,noted in a statement upon the launch of the campaign.

Indeed, when women decide they want to have an abortion, these type of emotionally manipulative tactics don’t actually succeed at convincing them otherwise. Ninety percent of women have made up their minds about having an abortion before visiting a doctor or a clinic. These shame-based messages do, however, contribute to the pervasive stigma surrounding abortion — which ultimately communicates that women can’t be open about their decision to have an abortion because they ought to regret it. Research has found that abortion stigma does increase women’s negative emotions about the experience, but not because they necessarily regret their choice.

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
6 moms liked this

If this is true, and I can see how it could be............I hope women, in general, are not so blind and misinformed that they would believe all that is told to them.

It concerns me that women are painted as being so damn stupid.  

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

They all could be true...some in rare circumstances.  

Considering where the funding came from...doesnt surprise me that the volunteers have alternative agendas.

So much wasted money on something that is basically a personal choice.

Here you tell your doctor you have decided to have an abortion....they refer you to a fertility clinic (the do the abortions and other stuff)  You show up and book in with the necessary paperwork and then pay.  Then you attend a session with the social worker who is there to help you and see if your reasons for having an abortion cant be resolved.  If they cant you are booked into having an abortion and MUST attend a social workers meeting afterward (its all pay up front, attend the after meeting and you get a refund of x amount...dont attend, you lose the money)

Aestas
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Think about scared teen girls getting this info, especially if they come from an area where they haven't received any decent sex education.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If this is true, and I can see how it could be............I hope women, in general, are not so blind and misinformed that they would believe all that is told to them.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

This. (I cut part that didn't apply)

Quoting turtle68:

They all could be true...some in rare circumstances.  

Considering where the funding came from...doesnt surprise me that the volunteers have alternative agendas.

So much wasted money on something that is basically a personal choice.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I'm sure this happens, but it's not the norm. Thank God. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Where on earth (in this country) are people THAT out of the loop on sex ed? Seriously, I want to know. 

Quoting Aestas:

Think about scared teen girls getting this info, especially if they come from an area where they haven't received any decent sex education.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Is there other proof, other than these pictures?? Like video, not recordings of these crises pregnancy centers saying all these things.

And again this is not the norm, just like it isn't the norm for Planned parenthood to say stupid shit too.
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It's another scare tactic used by the pro abortion crowd. That these people live in areas like the town in "footloose".

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Where on earth (in this country) are people THAT out of the loop on sex ed? Seriously, I want to know. 

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
4 moms liked this
Uhhhh, here on Cafemom. Have you seen some of the questions posed in some of the other groups here, and I'm not talking the Anonaho's in MC, I mean real people with their real screen names. There are grown women here who have absolutely no idea how their own reproductive systems work.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
That's exactly what i was thinking. It's the younguns they really trick & hurt.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN