Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Books for boys - a bit of a rant

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 119 Replies

I have three boys who luckily love to read.  However, as I was trying to give some family members some gift ideas for the boys (they asked), I had a hard time finding books that are geared towards male readers, particularly as they get more towards young adult lit. 

As I said, my boys love to read, so they'll read stuff that might be considered more 'girly' or geared towards female readers, but I can just imagine the frustration of people looking for books for reluctant readers.

So to make this more than just a rant from me, what are your book recommendations for boys.  Any age, just books that appeal to boys. 

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Here's some of my recommendations:

The 39 Clues series

The Percy Jackson series, as well as the Heroes of Olympus series, both by Rick Riordan

Eragon and the rest of that series

Gordon Korman and Eric Walters are both Canadian writers who write stuff for boys

I know I have more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

callmemaybe
by New Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

My boys all liked the Redwall books. 

They also liked the Maze Runner trilogy.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Ah yes, The Maze Runner was a good one too, my oldest has read it. I'll have to look into the other you mentioned.

Quoting callmemaybe:

My boys all liked the Redwall books. 

They also liked the Maze Runner trilogy.

krazymom2boyz
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Anything by Bill Wallace, most of the things by Bruce Colville, Percy Jackson books, the Magic Tree House books, and there are tons of books about cartoon/kid shows. I. E. Power Rangers, Ninjago, and Legends of Chima to name my boys favorites.
sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Eragon series

The hunger games

anything by Mike Lupica

redwall

percy jackson

maximum ride by James patterson

these are all books my now 18 year old son enjoyed

he also liked Harry Potter the dangerous days of Daniel X (also by James Patterson) and James Patterson has several new series that are endeared towards boys including the middle school series! I Funny and T reassure Hunters.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Fablehaven
Candy shop wars
Hunger games
Knee bone boy
Hardy boys
Harry potter
mamalynnsmith
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM
3 moms liked this

What about the classics like. White fang ,call of the wild, some of the classic would work. My youngest will read any thing he can get his hands on. He is 13now and has been reading at college level for a few years now so i know how hard it is to find books for boys to read. Right now he is reading history books about ww2. 

schatzi869
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
The Hatchet. The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien. The Boxcar Children. Meet the Robinson's. The Hardy Boys. Goosebumps.
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt.   It's a very good read   for boys.  I know  they have them on Ebay  but I don't  know how hard it would be to find an  unused copy.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured