Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If Your Gun Is Used In Commission Of A Murder...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
  • 157 Replies
2 moms liked this

....and you have not reported it lost or stolen, I think you should be charged with a crime yourself.

I was thinking about this today because I am listening to the news, and there is a Toms River, NJ man who is being charged with six counts of child endangerment because his gun was left where a child could get it and that child killed another child.

The strongest thing they can come up with is child endangerment?  A gun is a right but that right comes with responsibilities.  There are ways to keep your guns inaccessible to someone besides you, so that only you can get hold of and use it.

I'm thinking of a new category, maybe something like an involuntary manslaughter, special circumstances, for someone who's gun is used in the commission of a murder, if that gun has not already been reported to the police as lost or stolen.

How do you all feel about this?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. There need to be consequences. I also think they should start charging people who leave their kids in cars or do other irresponsible things like that.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting angelachristine:

I agree. There need to be consequences. I also think they should start charging people who leave their kids in cars or do other irresponsible things like that.

I never understood the forgetting the kid in the car thing.  I know people will think I'm being unkind, but I just don't get it.  

minnowslayer
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM
2 moms liked this
What if someone stole your gun and you were not yet aware it was missing?
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM
4 moms liked this

Then you always hear the loss of their child is punishment enough and I'm thinking no. The child had a horrible death and suffered because heat stroke or hypothermia is not a painless way to die and I really think that regardless their actions caused a death and they need to go to jail for it. 

The same thing with the people that let kids get  access to unsecured guns.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting angelachristine:

I never understood the forgetting the kid in the car thing.  I know people will think I'm being unkind, but I just don't get it.  

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting minnowslayer:

If you are a gun owner, it's your responsibility to have your guns inaccessible to criminals.  Is your whole gun safe stolen?  Perhaps that's a risk of gun ownership.  Rights, yes.....but also responsibilities.  Perhaps if this is a risk and has such a consequence people will be more careful about checking that their guns are not stolen and are where they are supposed to be.

p.s.  I thought of this before I posted, I knew it would be an issue.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I agree
lga1965
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting angelachristine:

I agree. Here is how I feel about it. Don't they communicate with their kid at all whle they are driving ? I know I always did when my kids were tiny and still do with my grandkids. Even when my kids were babies. I kept peeking at them in my rear view mirror, talking to them. I mean....isn't there ANY interaction at all? They must just plop the kid down in the carseat and never give him or her another thought. The kid might as well be a bag of groceries,if it is that easy to forget about them.

Yean,I am sure I will be called unkind too. Tough.

minnowslayer
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Not everyone keeps their guns in a locked safe. What if they stole a knife from my locked house. Am I then liable if that is used to stab someone to death? What if someone takes a cast iron skillet from my locked house and beats someone to death with it? Am I liable?
Quoting romalove:

Quoting minnowslayer:

If you are a gun owner, it's your responsibility to have your guns inaccessible to criminals.  Is your whole gun safe stolen?  Perhaps that's a risk of gun ownership.  Rights, yes.....but also responsibilities.  Perhaps if this is a risk and has such a consequence people will be more careful about checking that their guns are not stolen and are where they are supposed to be.

p.s.  I thought of this before I posted, I knew it would be an issue.  

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this

We own a gun and it is in a safe place,bullets out,safety on.

I also live in a safe neighborhood with very nosey neighbors who have dogs...lol..Not much worry of an intruder.

Yes...

If you are a gun owner you are responsible for the gun.....period.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree, especially if the gun is left around loaded where children can get it and are injured or killed.  The person who owns the gun should be charged with attempted manslaughter or manslaughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)