Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen Destroys Common Core in 5-Minute Speech - How do you feel about Common Core?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 67 Replies

Teen Totally Destroys Common Core in Just 5-Minute Speech (VIDEO)

by Jeanne Sager

Ethan YoungIf you haven't already heard the name Ethan Young, get ready. The Tennessee high school student will soon be a household name thanks in no small part to a speech that's gone viral. In just five minutes, the high school senior systematically takes apart the Common Core education initiative, which is so controversial that thousands of parents kept their kids home from school today to protest it.

Whether you agree with his argument or not, it's nice to see a teenager taking a stand. But Young isn't just well-spoken. He's well-researched.

Check out some of the highlights of his impressive speech, given at a Knox County School Board meeting:

1. I stand before you because I care about education, but also because I want to support my teachers. And just as they fought for my academic achievement, so I want to fight for their ability to teach.

2. Standards-based education is ruining the way we teach and learn.

3. Much like No Child Left Behind, the program promises national testing and a one-size-fits-all education, because hey, it worked so well the first time.

4. If everything I learn in high school is a measurable objective, I have not learned anything.

5. Somewhere our Founding Fathers are turning in their graves -- pleading, screaming, and trying to say to us that we teach to free minds. We teach to inspire. We teach to equip, the careers will come naturally.

Watch Ethan's inspiring speech:

How do you feel about Common Core? Is it helping your kids or hurting them?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM

bump for when I can watch video.

BeAmour
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Very nice
ramita
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
He seems to know what he's talking about. Personally I like the idea of common core, but from what I have seen I'm not sure if it has been implemented properly.
I do know the way my oldest DD is being taught certain things is really not working for her, and I know its has to be related to the new common core stuff because my SS didn't learn things the way my DD is (he's in second grade, she's in first). She's not really learning she's just going through the motions which is setting her up for failure down the road.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw this on tv.  What a smart young man!

I am not a supporter of Common Core.  It's implementation is one of the reasons we are homeschooling.

masonmomma
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
We don't use common core here so I'm unfamiliar with it other than the stories I hear but he gave an outstanding speech.
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I hate Common Core.
I liken it to Nazism and the way Hitler wanted to teach people.
lga1965
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting billsfan1104:

I hate Common Core.

I don't agree. It is irresponsible of you to mention Nazism and Hitler when discussing Common Core .

I disagree with the kid,too. He seems to be just parroting what his parents have told him about Common Core. This is a ridiculous "guess", a misinformed biased argument that he is using to "destroy Common Core".

Research. Read. Learn. Question.

My state has already started using the Reading portion of Common Cause. There aren't any Nazis in the school system. ;)

From what I have read, Common Core encourages independent thinking and creativity. That is just the opposite of what the anti-common core people are saying.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this
So because you disagree with the kid, he is parroting what his parents said??? How disingenuous of you. Maybe he sees things that you don't. He, after all, is in school right now and experiencing it.

Common core sucks. The way it was implemented, especially in NY state, has been god awful.

There is no individualism at all. It the thought of "everyone learns together" approach that is compatible to nazism and what Hitler wanted to teach.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I hate Common Core.

I don't agree. It is irresponsible of you to mention Nazism and Hitler when discussing Common Core .

I disagree with the kid,too. He seems to be just parroting what his parents have told him about Common Core. This is a ridiculous "guess", a misinformed biased argument that he is using to "destroy Common Core".

Research. Read. Learn. Question.

My state has already started using the Reading portion of Common Cause. There aren't any Nazis in the school system. ;)

From what I have read, Common Core encourages independent thinking and creativity. That is just the opposite of what the anti-common core people are saying.

Kermitthemom23
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Heard it on the radio. My verdict is still out on cc. But this kid seems to have a bright future
candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

glad we are homeschooling also.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I saw this on tv.  What a smart young man!

I am not a supporter of Common Core.  It's implementation is one of the reasons we are homeschooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN