Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fluff: What is on your menu this week? Are you cooking seasonally as much as possible?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 52 Replies

What is in season locally for you right now?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I am in Wyoming and the only thing in season here is the WIND!  We have already had snows and are expecting another round tomorrow'ish.  My garden has been finished for awhile now...we just harvested the rest of the turnips last week.  I am growing lettuce in a windowsill though and I also have some herbs growing.

We will now be eating the food I put up over the summer and supplementing it with stuff from the store. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Locally? Nothing. I'm in mn we have already had some snow, though it didn't stick. Some apples and squash are around but it's the tail end if it.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Its summer....so all those yummy summer fruits.  tomatoes and salad stuff.  vine tomatoes are really yummy at the moment.

last night we had spaghetti with greek salad and chips.  

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Summer? Where are you? Australia? 

Quoting turtle68:

Its summer....so all those yummy summer fruits.  tomatoes and salad stuff.  vine tomatoes are really yummy at the moment.

last night we had spaghetti with greek salad and chips.  

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Locally as much as possible. The other night I made a super yummy dish I saw on a friend post. Zucchini, summer squash and tomatoes sliced like you would for rattitouli, covered in olive oil, fresh basil, oregano and rosemary, layered in a baking dish, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper, with fresh grated asiago and parm. Holy cow was it good! 

Served it with free range baked chicken and homemade sourdough French baguette garlic bread. ;) 

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Squash, squash, and other types of squash. Lol. My co-op basket had kale, bell pepper (tiny ones), acorn squash, turnips, and pale beets, honeydew, grapefruit, heirloom tomatoes, and cucumbers.

I have only used the kale, squash, cucumber so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Apples, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, cabbage, onions- I get my CSA box tomorrow night My winter garden is doing well. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Squash and apples, we have both for a few dishes this week. I want tree nuts to do something with, but they are so expensive. I will still buy some for next week, though.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

what are tree nuts?  Are they the same as pine nuts?  I love pine nuts...and they are very expensive.

Quoting stringtheory:

Squash and apples, we have both for a few dishes this week. I want tree nuts to do something with, but they are so expensive. I will still buy some for next week, though.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
This is the same for me and I'm in Michigan. It snowed last week an I was PISSED!!

The squash is gone now. All of the pumpkin patches and orchards are closed for the season. lol

Quoting stacymomof2:

Locally? Nothing. I'm in mn we have already had some snow, though it didn't stick. Some apples and squash are around but it's the tail end if it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)