Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox News Is Officially Freaking Out About Oprah

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
  • 149 Replies
1 mom liked this

Fox News Is Officially Freaking Out About Oprah

It looks like the conservative media has found something new to scare the children: Oprah.

The talk show queen made headlines last week when she told the BBC that racial progress will move forward when older generations of racists "die," and that President Obama has faced racism during his time in office.

Most of the world moved on relatively quickly, but Oprah's comments have been re-litigated for days on Fox News and conservative radio.

Bill O'Reilly talked about it.

Mark Levin freaked out about it.

"The Five" went on multiple rants.

Our favorite thing, though, is this "Hannity" commercial, which basically makes Oprah seem like the second coming of Freddy Krueger:

oprah

Oprah Winfrey: President Barack Obama is disrespected because he's black

The media mogul spoke to the BBC about the racism of the past that still exists today and how no one is above it. ‘There's a level of disrespect for the office that occurs ... because he's African American,' she said of Obama.

By / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Winfrey talked about race-based disrespect of Presidend Obama to the BBC: ‘There's no question about that. And it's the kind of thing no one ever says, but everybody's thinking it.'

Oprah Winfrey has never been one to hold her tongue.

That remained true when she sat down with BBC's Will Gompertz and detailed how no one is above the racism that still exists in this world today ... not even the President of the United States, Barack Obama.

"There's a level of disrespect for the office that occurs in some cases and maybe even many cases because he's African American," she said. "There's no question about that. And it's the kind of thing no one ever says, but everybody's thinking it."

U.S. President Obama clasps hands with Oprah Winfrey during the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.'s ‘I have a dream' speech at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington August 28, 2013.

Winfrey, 59, used the example of Republican congressman Joe Wilson shouting out "you're a liar" during a 2009 speech President Obama gave.

"Remember that?" she asked Gompertz.

Oprah Winfrey was talking with the BBC to promote the film, ‘The Butler,' when the conversation turned to history and politics.

Darren McCollester/Getty Images

Oprah Winfrey was talking with the BBC to promote the film, ‘The Butler,' when the conversation turned to history and politics.

The media mogul was promoting her movie "The Butler," which debuts in theaters in the U.K. and Ireland on Nov. 15, and naturally the conversation turned to historical references of slavery and bigotry from the past and now.

"It would be foolish to not recognize that we have evolved and that we're not still facing the same kind of terrorism against black people en masse as was displayed with the Scottsboro boys," she said drawing reference to the film "12 Years a Slave." "It's gotten better."

US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama chat with talk show host Oprah Winfrey in 2011. Winfrey told BBC that racism is still a problem. ‘There are still generations of older people who were born and breed and marinated in that prejudice and racism and they just have to die,' she says.

Still, she remarked that there are places all over the world from Africa to Russia to the South, where she was born and raised, that people are scrutinized simply because of the color of their skin. But unlike the past there are laws in place to try and protect people from that today.

"If I'd been born five years earlier, none, not any of the benefits that I've been blessed to be successful with would have occurred," Winfrey, who was born in 1954 in Mississippi, said.

Oprah Winfrey puts it bluntly during her BBC interview, ‘It would be foolish to not recognize that we have evolved and that we're not still facing the same kind of terrorism against black people en masse as was displayed with the Scottsboro boys.'

However, she pointed out that despite the progress the underlying problems of racism are far from solved.

Movies like "The Butler" and "12 Years a Slave" don't paint a picture of the racism that existed in the past to show us that everything is great today, she said. Instead those films define the root of the problem that sadly still runs rampant in our society.

"That's where it all started, this is how far we've come, and this is how much further we need to go," she said. "Of course, the problem is not solved."

Winfrey feels that these dilemmas will remain unsolved until the deep rooted bigoted thoughts of class and race and the just cause of human indecency that comes along with it and has been taught throughout so many generations fades away.

"There are still generations of older people who were born and breed and marinated in that prejudice and racism and they just have to die," she added.

On a mobile device? Click here to watch video.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/oprah-winfrey-president-obama-disrespected-black-article-1.1518299#ixzz2lCPU3k5U

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM
5 moms liked this

You have a strange way of defining words to suit your narrow opinion of what is actually going on........

KatLee42513
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
As I watch all these shows I don't consider it "freaking out.".
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Oprah is an evil black murderess. LOL.

But I do disagree with her. I know what she's trying to say, but that's like saying issues between the North and South died out when anyone alive during the Civil War died. Well, we see that didn't happen. lol.

People pass ugly things as well as good things on from generation to generation. . . Remember the 5 year old Virginia kid dressed as a klansman for Halloween?

Poor Fox news. Such a bunch of sensationalist crap.

michaelsmom25
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Lol. Im not a fan of Oprah but I think this is somewhat true.
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Lol @ the Oprah Freddy Krueger comparison. Can you give more info on what was said because it sounds like what she said is being taken out of context.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Bill Maher has been saying the same for YEARS...and it's a correct statement

Some of these people that have had racist ideals instilled in them since they were babies.....that sh*t will die with them

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Who does? I didn't write the article

Quoting pvtjokerus:

You have a strange way of defining words to suit your narrow opinion of what is actually going on........

Liz132
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, it's true. Older generations are from a more racist time. I don't think Obama has faced as much racism as the media likes to portray but of course he's faced some. Unless there is more to these comments I don't see why people would hang on them.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM
10 moms liked this

I get what she's saying. While my FIL is a racist asshole the next generation is much better, and we in turn are raising our kids to know better. Each generation is becoming more tolerant, homosexuality is an example. Kids don't really care anymore. There will always be pockets of haters but those numbers are diminishing. She doesn't want to deliberately hunt and kill off racists she's just saying that as the baby boomers die off, they're being replaced by (hopefully) a younger generation that knows better and doesn't accept those attitudes.

rosiemendo
Prayers are needed.....
Today at 7:27 AM
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM

The media has gotten way out of hand.  If there's something to sensationalize, they do it in a heartbeat.  However, posting and even "entertaining" their comments just adds fuel to the fire.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)