Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should 'Slaying of Sandy Hook' video game makers issue an apology to the victims' families?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 18 Replies

Twisted Sandy Hook Video Game Is Appalling Any Way You Look at It

by Rebecca Stokes

sandy hook As the anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook draws close, the families of those impacted and the community at large are surely in all our thoughts. The wounds have barely begun to heal, and it won't be an easy day for anyone. I can think of nothing more horrific than, in the wake of such sadness and senselessness, having to revisit that trauma. Yet, that's exactly what one video game company seems intent on making the families do.

The game is called The Slaying of Sandy Hook. Yeah, that's right. No beating around the bush there. The plot? You are a shooter armed with an AR-15 assault rifle taking down everyone you see in the school. You know, for points. While the game has already been pulled from the site where it was originally released to the public, the damage has already been done.

More from The Stir: Sandy Hook Hoax Allegations Are Disturbing

Adding more fuel to the fire, apparently the game took a "pro-gun control" stance. The game-makers urged its players to reach out to their lawmakers about reforming gun control laws. I'm sorry, but tacking on a trite message to a game that romanticizes the mass murdering of children does not make your "game" anywhere close to okay. If you want to promote a conversation about gun-control, there are other ways of going about it. These ways don't involve the reenactment of child murder for profit.

There are times when a criminal at their trial is banned from making a profit from their crime. We typically associate these sorts of rules with murderers. The idea is that we don't want them to make money off the deaths of their victims, causing further damage to their memory and pain to their families. While the people behind this video game aren't killers, I wish there was a blanket law we could apply to events like Sandy Hook that prevented people from profiting off of tragedy. I guess you could make the argument for the law of "common decency," but that doesn't seem to hold much clout for thoughtless people like the "brilliant minds" behind this game.

Should the video game makers issue an apology to the victims' families?

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I hate forced apologies almost as much as the offense. Forced apologies are empty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
3 moms liked this

I think any sort of apology is too little and far too late. The best that could happen is that the maker spent a shit-load of money on that tripe for which no one chooses to purchase and they suffer financially for their lack of morals or thought.

lga1965
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

The Video game makers should take their sick game off  the market and destroy every copy.

FireMoonGypsy
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Is this real? 

This cannot be real. How fucked up are we as a country that a video game like this was even CONSIDERED being made?! 

An apology is pointless now. They should destroy plans for this game and maybe move out of the country. How desensitized have we become? 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The gaming company that created the game should be forced to donate all profits to a Sandy Hook education fund.  

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

The asshat who created this "video game" lives in Australia.  I would like to set up a fundraiser to allow every parent who lost a child in that massacre to fly to Australia and harass this man until he has no place to hide.

monkeymommy1
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! This is INFURIATING that ANYONE would have the AUDACITY to make such a horrible game!!!! If anyone actually purchases it... wow... how horrific. These video game makers are monsters!!!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Why make some one, or a company, apologize when it is not true?

Those behind this game, any one that agrees with it, that alone shows their lack of character.

Brilliant minds behind this game?  I have a few other words that would be more appropriate.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM

What a useless apology that would be

sweetaspie630
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The game maker was from Australia, so really how fucked up are we as a society? I don't socialize really, and I have started doomsday prepping becuase of how bad it's getting lately. The government is out of control across the world, people are entitled selfish asshats with no morals, bullying, rape, and child abuse are rampent, and the rich are getting richer and getting breaks for being rich while the poor are getting destitute and being punished for being poor.

Quoting FireMoonGypsy:

Is this real? 

This cannot be real. How fucked up are we as a country that a video game like this was even CONSIDERED being made?! 

An apology is pointless now. They should destroy plans for this game and maybe move out of the country. How desensitized have we become? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)