Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 64 Replies
4 moms liked this

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Kelly McCartney's picture

By Kelly McCartney

Tuesday

In Austin, Texas, a project to offer affordable housing to some 200 chronically homeless citizens is on the move. Community First! Village, which has been in the planning stages for nearly 10 years, is set to soon break ground on a 27-acre property sprinkled with tiny houses, mobile homes, teepees, refurbished RVs, a three-acre community garden, a chapel, a medical facility, a workshop, a bed and breakfast, and an Alamo Drafthouse outdoor movie theater.

Supporter Alan Graham, of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, notes that the price of not housing these folks costs taxpayers about $10 million a year, not to mention the emotional and psychological tolls on the homeless themselves. Graham says that, for the most part, local residents seem to be in favor of the project, “We haven’t converted everybody, but when people come out here they go, ‘Oh!’ They see a chapel; they see medical and vocational services on site, and they learn that residents will not live there for free; they’ll pay a monthly rent.”

Graham has been working with the homeless in his community for more than 14 years and cites broken families as the leading cause of homelessness. With Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Graham has not only helped feed the homeless all these years, but he has helped transition them into homes and jobs, as well. And he has given them hope. Graham views Community First! as the next step in that mission and the next step toward solving homelessness in the U.S.

As the local NPR station (KUT) reports, Alamo Drafthouse's founder Tim League is another outspoken cheerleader for Community First Village. In fact, he enthusiastically calls it “the very first ‘yes, in my backyard’ project!’”

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM
5 moms liked this

See girls, and everybody always bashes Texas. We're not all bad. That's great!!

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

That is what should happen.

People are doing this.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Looks amazing!

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Because TX is so awful.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM
3 moms liked this
I've found myself giving a couple nods to texas lately. Wendy Davis, they beat OU but my OSU cowboys dominated them, Rick Perry is leaving office. And Austin is a liberal paradise hidden in a sea of red. I'll give credit where it's due.

Quoting littlesippycup:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for your negative response to this positive post

Quoting tnmomofive:

Because TX is so awful.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The little blue home is adorable!

Quoting furbabymum:

Looks amazing!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Sounds like a great idea

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

It will be very interesting to see how this works!

littlesippycup
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Love, love, love Austin!! I'm pretty conservative but I'm also happy to see the back of Rick Perry as he leaves.

Quoting ashellbell:

I've found myself giving a couple nods to texas lately. Wendy Davis, they beat OU but my OSU cowboys dominated them, Rick Perry is leaving office. And Austin is a liberal paradise hidden in a sea of red. I'll give credit where it's due.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured