Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Posted by   + Show Post

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Kelly McCartney's picture

By Kelly McCartney

Tuesday

In Austin, Texas, a project to offer affordable housing to some 200 chronically homeless citizens is on the move. Community First! Village, which has been in the planning stages for nearly 10 years, is set to soon break ground on a 27-acre property sprinkled with tiny houses, mobile homes, teepees, refurbished RVs, a three-acre community garden, a chapel, a medical facility, a workshop, a bed and breakfast, and an Alamo Drafthouse outdoor movie theater.

Supporter Alan Graham, of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, notes that the price of not housing these folks costs taxpayers about $10 million a year, not to mention the emotional and psychological tolls on the homeless themselves. Graham says that, for the most part, local residents seem to be in favor of the project, “We haven’t converted everybody, but when people come out here they go, ‘Oh!’ They see a chapel; they see medical and vocational services on site, and they learn that residents will not live there for free; they’ll pay a monthly rent.”

Graham has been working with the homeless in his community for more than 14 years and cites broken families as the leading cause of homelessness. With Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Graham has not only helped feed the homeless all these years, but he has helped transition them into homes and jobs, as well. And he has given them hope. Graham views Community First! as the next step in that mission and the next step toward solving homelessness in the U.S.

As the local NPR station (KUT) reports, Alamo Drafthouse's founder Tim League is another outspoken cheerleader for Community First Village. In fact, he enthusiastically calls it “the very first ‘yes, in my backyard’ project!’”

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
If she makes the cut, I do think she'll do better than people think. Do I think she'll win? Nah. But she'll fare ok.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I was discussing your belief she is going to do better than people think.

As someone involved in these politics for over 20 years, I was explaining how I am not sure, right now, that she is the nominee because some of the powers that be are not happy with her.

Quoting ashellbell:

If she doesn't make the cut, she doesn't make the cut. What she did was admirable and I appreciate it. Running, not running, it was her actions that put her on my list, not her intentions of running or not.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That assumes she is the nominee.  Not all in the state Democrat party is happy with her and what they see as her wanting to use her filibuster to make herself a national speaker.

Quoting ashellbell:

Like I said, I don't think she'll win. I think she'll do better than people expect. Even if she wasn't running, she'd still be on the things I like from Texas list. I think what she did was amazing and I respect her for it. I love to see strong females standing up against the majority even when they know it's a losing battle. I like it even better when they aren't guano insane.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

She was targeted by the state Republican party before the filibuster.  Now they are more intent on removing her.

Quoting ashellbell:

I think she'll do better than what most think, but it's pretty red there. My fingers are crossed for her.

Quoting jllcali:

Well it does snow in Texas from time to time so she's got a shot ;-)

Quoting ashellbell:

I'm not saying she does but she's still awesome

Quoting Koltie6:

Wendy Davis doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Quoting ashellbell:

I've found myself giving a couple nods to texas lately. Wendy Davis, they beat OU but my OSU cowboys dominated them, Rick Perry is leaving office. And Austin is a liberal paradise hidden in a sea of red. I'll give credit where it's due.

Quoting littlesippycup:

See girls, and everybody always bashes Texas. We're not all bad. That's great!!

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM
We'll see how this goes... I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but I'm not convinced that this will mainly make a positive change.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

She won't do as well as Bill White. And that was man who opened up the arms of Houston to Katrina victims and he didn't do as well as he should have. She is called abortion Barbie by many. Running on her filibuster is not going to help.

Quoting ashellbell:

If she makes the cut, I do think she'll do better than people think. Do I think she'll win? Nah. But she'll fare ok.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

As someone involved in these politics for over 20 years, I was explaining how I am not sure, right now, that she is the nominee because some of the powers that be are not happy with her.

Quoting ashellbell:

If she doesn't make the cut, she doesn't make the cut. What she did was admirable and I appreciate it. Running, not running, it was her actions that put her on my list, not her intentions of running or not.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That assumes she is the nominee.  Not all in the state Democrat party is happy with her and what they see as her wanting to use her filibuster to make herself a national speaker.

Quoting ashellbell:

Like I said, I don't think she'll win. I think she'll do better than people expect. Even if she wasn't running, she'd still be on the things I like from Texas list. I think what she did was amazing and I respect her for it. I love to see strong females standing up against the majority even when they know it's a losing battle. I like it even better when they aren't guano insane.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

She was targeted by the state Republican party before the filibuster.  Now they are more intent on removing her.

Quoting ashellbell:

I think she'll do better than what most think, but it's pretty red there. My fingers are crossed for her.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

I've found myself giving a couple nods to texas lately. Wendy Davis, they beat OU but my OSU cowboys dominated them, Rick Perry is leaving office. And Austin is a liberal paradise hidden in a sea of red. I'll give credit where it's due.

Quoting littlesippycup:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Such a clever nickname, isn't it?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

She won't do as well as Bill White. And that was man who opened up the arms of Houston to Katrina victims and he didn't do as well as he should of have.

She is called abortion Barbie by many. Running on her filibuster is not going to help.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting littlesippycup:

jcrew6
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I'm not sure where your paranoid comment came from...run to my group? What group?
Wow.
I stand by my comment, I hope more people look differently at Texas. It's a great state. There are great communities that do wonderful things for their citizens.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Not turning this into crap like you people do with everything

Go run to your group and spend some more time talking about me there

Quoting jcrew6:Why do you interpret suggesting people should look differently at Texas as a negative response? I think you are looking for something out of nothing. Texas isn't bad at all and I hope people can move past their unfounded bias and appreciate ALL the state has to offer. Perhaps you are looking for negativity?

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

No.

I am just trying to explain to people who don't know Texas politics why she has huge baggage.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

She won't do as well as Bill White. And that was man who opened up the arms of Houston to Katrina victims and he didn't do as well as he should of have.

She is called abortion Barbie by many. Running on her filibuster is not going to help.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting littlesippycup:

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM
So what you're saying is he'll get elected because he's disabled?

He also sued the homeowner whose tree fell on him as he was running by after a storm.

Has Wendy Davis picked on him? All I have seen is people trashing Wendy Davis.

I hope whomever is elected is better than the scourge of Rick Perry.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Not once the Greg Abbott machine goes in force.   You can't pick on the disabled guy that sued Sony for spyware.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting littlesippycup:

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No, he will get elected because he is a Republican with a resume that the majority of the voters will like.

I never said she was picking on him.  I am saying she can't go for the jugular if she gets the nomination, which I am not convinced she will.

Many of the powers that be in the state party don't think she is the second coming the way people outside the state think she is.

Quoting jllcali:

So what you're saying is he'll get elected because he's disabled?

He also sued the homeowner whose tree fell on him as he was running by after a storm.

Has Wendy Davis picked on him? All I have seen is people trashing Wendy Davis.

I hope whomever is elected is better than the scourge of Rick Perry.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Not once the Greg Abbott machine goes in force.   You can't pick on the disabled guy that sued Sony for spyware.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting littlesippycup:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too! They are so freakin cute :-)

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

How cool!

I love tiny houses.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM
No I get it. I'm in Oklahoma, we catch wind of Texas politics from time to time. Like I said, if age runs I don't think she'll win I just think her numbers won't be as low as everyone thinks. Will she have a high turn out high numbers at the voting booth? No. I just think she'll do better than what some would expect. I'm not trying to argue or tell you I think you're wrong, it's just an opinion. If she does make the ballot, I'll applaud her even more for running a race she knows she'll lose.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No.

I am just trying to explain to people who don't know Texas politics why she has huge baggage.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting littlesippycup:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured