Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Posted by   + Show Post

Austin to House Homeless in a Tiny House Village

Kelly McCartney's picture

By Kelly McCartney

Tuesday

In Austin, Texas, a project to offer affordable housing to some 200 chronically homeless citizens is on the move. Community First! Village, which has been in the planning stages for nearly 10 years, is set to soon break ground on a 27-acre property sprinkled with tiny houses, mobile homes, teepees, refurbished RVs, a three-acre community garden, a chapel, a medical facility, a workshop, a bed and breakfast, and an Alamo Drafthouse outdoor movie theater.

Supporter Alan Graham, of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, notes that the price of not housing these folks costs taxpayers about $10 million a year, not to mention the emotional and psychological tolls on the homeless themselves. Graham says that, for the most part, local residents seem to be in favor of the project, “We haven’t converted everybody, but when people come out here they go, ‘Oh!’ They see a chapel; they see medical and vocational services on site, and they learn that residents will not live there for free; they’ll pay a monthly rent.”

Graham has been working with the homeless in his community for more than 14 years and cites broken families as the leading cause of homelessness. With Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Graham has not only helped feed the homeless all these years, but he has helped transition them into homes and jobs, as well. And he has given them hope. Graham views Community First! as the next step in that mission and the next step toward solving homelessness in the U.S.

As the local NPR station (KUT) reports, Alamo Drafthouse's founder Tim League is another outspoken cheerleader for Community First Village. In fact, he enthusiastically calls it “the very first ‘yes, in my backyard’ project!’”

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Replies (61-64):
Avarah
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Austin is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad city and all of you should stay away and stop moving here (but you're welcome to come spend money during SXSW or ACL or XGames or whatever...lots of money, actually). Nope. You'll hate it. Definitely.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

LOL. You sound funny when you have nothing and have to make up stuff...Are you sad because there is no village of tiny houses for the homeless your town?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

You are the one humping Austin. I said what is happening is terrific. Just that the city isn't special unless you want to take the current ugly racism occuring from the students. And yes, I think someone that lived in the state 8 months ago knows better than someond who didn't.

There is plenty of charity going on around the state. You are the one glorifying Austin. I simply know that they aren't special for helping people. You are the one who said they are.

Quoting NWP:

Apparently, according to you, you are the only authority on Texas or the only one of us who lived there for decades?

Where did I say the part in red? Quote it please....Or is that your assumption?

I know for a fact there are many liberal, generous areas in Texas outside of Austin...Because I lived in Texas....for decades.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Why do they have to be tiny houses missions?  Why can't they be rebuilding abandoned houses?  Why can't they be 19,000 students descending on two cities to help anyone who needs it?  Why can't it be millions of dollars given in scholarships through a rodeo?

You want to pretend that Austin is just this liberal, generous, and single  Mecca in Texas when it isn't.   So many people in so many cities do so much to help people.  

You were the one who told me it is Austin, what do you expect.  As someone who lived in that state 40 years, I know it a little better.  It awesome what is happening.  I have said that.  But no. They aren't special in helping people because it is Austin.

Learn about the state and the people of the cities a little bit more before you lecture me on it.

Quoting NWP:

Do those cities have tiny house villages for the homeless? I'm heading home to visit family in one of those towns next month and I would love to go see their village of tiny houses for the homeless.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
ah

and there the bias goes.

All I said was this is what people should be doing and Austin isn't special in terms of helping the poor and homeless populations.

What makes them different than things in Houston or Fort Worth?

Quoting NWP:You said the same thing. Lol. And I really don't think that you want to talk about racist college students.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:
Show me the Big Event in Austin.
Show me the Endless Bowl in Austin.

I get it. They are supposed to be liberal so that makes them generous. Many other cities, which have smaller populations or more conservative populations, do just as much for the populations.

Austin isn't special for doing this. Unless you want to also call Austin racist for the tu as students dumping bleach on minority students.

It is something awesome they are doing. But they are no different in helping people than many other cities large or small, college town or urban or rural.

Quoting NWP:Yes it is.

Show us the village of tiny houses for the homeless in your town.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

The same thing I expect in every other city.

Austin isn't special because they do this.

Quoting NWP:It's Austin what you Expect?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That is what should happen.

People are doing this.

National Woman's Party

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Awesome!

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I think that is awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN