Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hate crimes charges after students fasten bike lock around black roommates neck and call him three fifths

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hate crimes charges after students fasten bike lock around black roommates neck and call him three fifths

Three students at San Jose State University have been charged with misdemeanor hate crimes and battery after being accused of tormenting a black roommate. 

University police announced on Wednesday that arrest warrants were being issued for 18-year-old freshmen students Colin Warren, Joseph Bomgardner and Logan Beaschler. According to police, the three students hazed a fellow student while they were all living in an eight-person suite between Aug. 20 and Oct. 13.

The San Jose Mercury News reported that the victim's parents first suspected that something was wrong with the living situation in mid-October when they noticed a Confederate flag covering a cardboard cutout of Elvis in the dorm room. They also reported to campus police that they had seen the N-word scrawled on a dry-erase board.

Police reports indicated that the students gave their 17-year-old victim the nicknames of "Three-fifth" and "Fraction," referring to the way the original U.S. Constitution treated slaves as part of a person.

At one point, the victim allegedly had a "U" shaped bike lock placed around his neck and was not set free for as long as 10 minutes. A struggle occurred after the suspects tried to place the victim in the bike lock again and bruised his lip.

Investigators found anti-Semitic items in the dorm room, including a photo of Adolf Hitler and a swastika. There was a pentagram on one wall that was used to offend the victim because he was a Christian, police said.

"He was targeted because he was different, because he was black," Deputy District Attorney Erin West said on Wednesday.

video

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/21/hate-crimes-charges-after-students-fasten-bike-lock-around-black-roommates-neck-and-call-him-three-fifths/#13850589866691&req=rpuSetSize&h=227&w=226

Isaac Thornton (KGO)

Three students at San Jose State University have been charged with misdemeanor hate crimes and battery after being accused of tormenting a black roommate.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

ugh, poor kid. Those little bastards need removed from school so someone who has a real chance at a future can attend.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Raised them kids up right, they did.

Ugh!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh.

Poor kid.

I hope those little bastards are kicked out of school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry but that is not enough.   I want to know what is happening with the school officials who allowed this to go for so long - an according to other articles they were aware enough about it to transfer two students to other housing.    This is beyond sickening.  That poor boy and his family :(

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Sickening

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

They college should have transferred those students to other housing, all right, in prison.  If they had tried to force him into a bike lock on a public street, they'd have had the cops called on them on the spot.

I hope that student demands a refund for the semester, at least.

Quoting SuperChicken:

I'm sorry but that is not enough.   I want to know what is happening with the school officials who allowed this to go for so long - an according to other articles they were aware enough about it to transfer two students to other housing.    This is beyond sickening.  That poor boy and his family :(

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

What gets to me is that people have no problem treating other people like this. It is absolutely sad and disgusting - poor kid.

DACIA79
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM
They should get life imprisonment thats why white people get such a bad rap because of dumb s*** like that.
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

that is really horrible. It amazes me how comfortable people are with their prejudices and racist views. It's not even so much subtle anymore. 

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Sickening

Very.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)