Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

American Medical Association opposes marijuana legalization; supports health-first approach to marijuana use

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 69 Replies

American Medical Association opposes marijuana legalization; supports health-first approach to marijuana use

Press Release

Largest medical group in the U.S .explicitly rejects calls to become "neutral" on legalization; supports full funding of the Office of National Drug Control Policy; calls for proper study of Colorado and Washington policies. It joins the American Psychiatric Association, who issued a statement last week outlining the public health harms of marijuana.

NATIONAL HARBOR, MD—The delegates at the 2013 Interim Meeting of the American Medical Association (AMA) House of Delegates, in National Harbor, Maryland, today voted to pass a resolution on marijuana, Council of Science & Public Health Report 2 in Reference Committee K, explicitly opposing marijuana legalization - fending off a challenge to "neutralize" their position. The report changes H-95.998 AMA Policy Statement on Cannabis to read in part that: "Our AMA believes that (1) cannabis is a dangerous drug and as such is a public health concern; (2) sale and possession of cannabis should not be legalized."

"The AMA today reiterated the widely held scientific view that marijuana is dangerous and should not be legalized," commented Dr. Stuart Gitlow, Chair-Elect of the AMA Council on Science and Health and SAM Board Member. "We can only hope that the public will listen to science - not 'Big Marijuana' interests who stand to gain millions of dollars from increased addiction rates."

Additionally, the report called for efforts to "discourage cannabis use, especially by persons vulnerable to the drug's effects and in high-risk situations, ... support the determination of the consequences of long-term cannabis use through concentrated research, especially among youth and adolescents, ... support the modification of state and federal laws to emphasize public health based strategies to address and reduce cannabis use."

"The American Medical Association took a bold step today, and they should be commended," commented former Congressman Patrick J. Kennedy, co-founder of Project SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana), a nonpartisan alliance of lawmakers, scientists and other concerned citizens who oppose marijuana legalization and support a treatment, health-first marijuana policy.  "By explicitly rejecting calls to neutralize their anti-legalization position, they are sending a loud and powerful message to state and local decision makers, the Federal government, and the general public that to be on the side of science is to oppose efforts to expand marijuana use and addiction."

Several other elements in the report call for support for: "The availability and reduc[tion] (of) the cost of treatment programs for substance use disorders, ... a coordinated approach to adolescent drug education, ... community-based prevention programs for youth at risk to fund the Office of National Drug Control Policy, ... greater protection against discrimination in the employment and provision of services to drug abusers." The report sums up much of these policy initiatives as a public health approach to marijuana use.

The AMA report follows an American Psychiatric Association position paper released last week, which concluded: "There is no current scientific evidence that marijuana is in any way beneficial for the treatment of any psychiatric disorder. In contrast, current evidence supports, at minimum, a strong association of cannabis use with the onset of psychiatric disorders. Adolescents are particularly vulnerable to harm, given the effects of cannabis on neurological development."

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I can understand for mental health but what about other illnesses such as cancer and ms etc.
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

While I am not a fan of AMA......I do applaud them for this.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM
9 moms liked this

I'm sure big pharm had nothing to do with this.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM
7 moms liked this
Because opiate medication and amphetamines are so safe and healthy. Nobody dies from them or gets addicted...they dont pose any public health threat.
PestPatti
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

And for every doctor who oppose it, you will a doctor who supports it.  

FinchsMommy
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this
This article and the AMA is missing making a point. What is the healthy alternative to marihuana? I get that they don't want teenagers to use it (developing brains and all)and I don't think that in states where is legal a 'child' could purchase it without a parent or guardians assistance. I don't think it being legal is going to make it more accessible to teenagers. No more so than cigarettes and alcohol are now. Perhaps if it were legal the stigma would improve.

They want to lower addiction. Are they talking about the psychological addiction because there have already been studies to show that there isn't a physical addiction (unless you're a heavy user for years). Anyone can have a psychological addiction to anything. Some people LOVE the way it feels to clean their ears with Q-Tips even it's not recommended. They still do it and won't stop because they love the way it feels. There is an entire series about addiction that is psychological and not physical.

And they want to study it more. Great. Go down to Georgia and work with the federal government to get some of their 'super secret special' marihuana. I'm sure there are loads of folks who would volunteer for those medical trials.

I just can't give the AMA much credit. They make too much money off of their partnerships with the big pharmaceutical companies. It would be like the NFL saying all male athletes should wear cups. Why? So Nike can make more money? I question the integrity of their stance when they themselves say more research is needed.
lga1965
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I support Medical Marijuana if it is an actual benefit. I don't support getting high. If you need to relax, try Yoga.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
This seems to be a real hot button issue for the OP. She seems to be on her own personal crusade against pot. As for myself, while not into it at all, I have difficulty with the notion of railing against pot while giving alcohol a free pass, which takes lives DAILY.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Dude

When it is finally legalized, STRAWBERRY KUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I know several who smoke it :)

Quoting PestPatti:

And for every doctor who oppose it, you will a doctor who supports it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)