Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ObamaCare

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hope its Ok to post questions here.

1) How is it legal for us to be forced to buy insurance or be fined? My SO and I are healthy, young adults and more importantly there is no way we can afford 1400 every month just to insure him (thats not even including coverage for me). I think it is ridiculous that we are being forced to get coverage. Isnt it against out rights? 

and 2 https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/

Hardship exemptions

If you have any of the circumstances below that affect your ability to purchase health insurance coverage, you may qualify for a “hardship” exemption:

3. You received a shut-off notice from a utility company.

Maybe this makes me a bad person- but i seriously wonder how  many people are going to pay a bill late just to get a cut off notice in the mail (but pay before they actually cut it off) to apply for a hardship exemption. I admit id try it. 

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I see fee...not fine.  I see small fee.  1% of your wages.

I'd pay the fee.

Annsf
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I always had insurance for my family. I would be very nervous without it. Healthy adults are healthy until they aren't. Check again. You can probably get a better deal.
Annsf
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM
My son, healthy young adult, found a silver plan for 210. He had been paying 380. He makes good money.
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

It's legal because the Supreme Court has deemed it to be so.

Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

It's ridiculous that people *don't* want insurance. I find having insurance to be part of being a responsible adult with children. I wouldn't even have considered having kids if we couldn't afford health insurance for them. We consider it a "need", not a luxury.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

It's legal because the Supreme Court inexplicably found it Constitutional.  I disagree.  They called it a tax though, and let it slide through. 

$1400 a month?? Yikes!  I'd be angry too.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The same reason it's okay for them to collect income tax.

Because WTF are you going to do about it?

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I do not think this is actually legal as the only power they are supposed to have is to regulate business and impose taxes. The deeming of a fine as a tax is significantly established in society but I would challenge that just because they get away with it does not mean they have the authority. If they would have set up an independent tax to pay for indigent care it would have been more under their authority but they did this already and now they are fringing on double taxation to do so again.

As for the hardship exemption: Having been one who filled out the information on the ACA I do not see an allowance to provide for this information. In such, it would seem the person would have to go before a board to prove that they missed the bill as a matter of hardship not just because they decided not to pay it.

As a further question: Can anyone please explain to me how to appease these website gods so that my information goes through?

Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

A young adult male and his annual cost is $16,800?

Is that the lowest priced coverage available to him and is it more than 8% of your household income?

Quote from your link:

The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Weve done a ton of searching. this was the cheapest he could get 

Quoting Annsf:

I always had insurance for my family. I would be very nervous without it. Healthy adults are healthy until they aren't. Check again. You can probably get a better deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)