Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More drivers are testing positive for pot in Washington State

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • 68 Replies

More drivers are testing positive for pot in Washington State

Washington Post

OLYMPIA, WASH. - Significantly more drivers pulled over by police in Washington State are testing positive for marijuana since legalization of the drug's recreational use took effect in January, according to figures released this week by the Washington State Patrol.

In the first six months with pot legal in the state, 745 drivers stopped by police tested positive for the drug's psychoactive ingredient, THC, in their blood, the data show. Over half of those were over the state's new legal limit of 5 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood.

By contrast, in each of the past two full years, about 1,000 drivers tested positive for THC.

The increase comes despite the fact that recreational-use pot stores will not open in Washington State until next year.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Bob Calkins said the findings, while preliminary, indicate that more people may be driving impaired than before Washington and Colorado in January became the first states to legalize recreational use of the drug.

About 20 states and the District of Columbia allow medical marijuana use.

Calkins said that, in the first half of the year, the overall number of people pulled over by the State Patrol on suspicion of driving under the influence, whether of alcohol or drugs, remained roughly on par with figures from the past two years.

The State Patrol arrests about 20,000 people a year on suspicion of impaired driving. A similar number of arrests are made by other police agencies around the state.

Whether people are driving under the influence of pot, alcohol or prescription drugs, Calkins said, "It all comes back to a bad decision to drive while impaired."

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I know......'it doesn't really matter...."   sigh.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I wanna know when they are doing the test. also didn't they prove traces were in your blood long after it affects the person? i personally would rather have a high driver next to me then a drunk. I also know there has always been high people on the road that do no harm.
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM
3 moms liked this

Given that THC stays in the system much, much, MUCH longer than the time one is high, this is a piss poor determination of impairment.

Pun intended.

So, no, it doesn't really matter.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

I know......'it doesn't really matter...."   sigh.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd rather have a driver who has smoked to relieve pain or anxiety than one who has been taking opiates or benzos.

Quoting pixie92:

I wanna know when they are doing the test. also didn't they prove traces were in your blood long after it affects the person? i personally would rather have a high driver next to me then a drunk. I also know there has always been high people on the road that do no harm.

D-Town
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
You aren't supposed to drive while taking those drugs either and can be arrested for DWI even if you have a prescription. The package inserts state that you shouldn't drive or operate machinery while taking the medication. It should also have been told to them by their doctor and pharmacist.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I'd rather have a driver who has smoked to relieve pain or anxiety than one who has been taking opiates or benzos.

Quoting pixie92:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
4 moms liked this

High or drunk, if you're driving that way, your ass should be prosecuted.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this
This is why I am currently against legalization. Until there is an accurate measure of how impaired someone is at that exact moment (because thc remains in your system long after the high is gone) there is no way to prosecute impaired driving.
elkmomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Hmmmm....

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

High drivers drive slow, I've seen it. 

Quoting pixie92:

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM
They say that those pulled over to be tested... Cops just can't test anybody can they? So whether that person was drunk driving at the time of getting pulled over and smoked days before, or smoked a bowl one day and drove the next, they are going to be tested positive.
I don't get what this study is trying to prove.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)