Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

White supremacist church buying up town next to Area 51

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 31 Replies

White supremacist church buying up town next to Area 51 

Residents of a small Nevada town were shocked and angry to discover that the agency buying up property in their city is a Baptist church with ties to the white supremacist and neo-Nazi movements.

Las Vegas' Channel 8 News reported that Rachel, NV - mostly known for being close to the world's most famous classified military base, Area 51 - is an economically depressed burg whose rock-bottom property values have made it attractive to a man named Richard Bunck.

First, Bunck bought the town's only gas station and convenience store and closed it down within weeks. Then he bought the town's trailer park and evicted the residents.

Pastor Robert Kenniston of the little Baptist church next to the trailer park lost most of his congregation when the knot of retirees who parked their mobile homes in Rachel were driven away.

Curious about the man buying up chunks of the town, Kenniston did a bit of digging and found Bunck's name online along with his affiliation with the JHM Baptist Church, the church Bunck founded and named after his mentor, American Nazi Party founder John Hale McGee.

Their church is identified by the experts as Christian identity and neo-Nazi. And those two little niches are the most dangerous, I'm told," Kenniston told Channel 8.

When Kenniston told Rachel residents what he'd discovered, he got a visit from Bunck.

Kenniston said, "And he looked at me and said, ‘There's a story going around town that I am a neo-Nazi and a white supremacist, and I believe you are the reason for that story.' And I said, ‘I believe you are the reason for that story,' and that was the end of the conversation."

Some are concerned that Bunck may be planning to establish a white supremacist enclave in the Nevada desert. FBI agents visited the town and consulted with residents, asking them what they know of Bunck and his plans for the purchased properties.

White supremacist Craig Cobb drew nationwide scorn for trying to establish his own whites-only community in North Dakota this year. In addition to finding out that he himself is a mix of Caucasian and African-American, Cobb was arrested earlier this month for harassing other residents and menacing them with guns.

Watch video about this story, embedded below via Channel 8 News:

By David Ferguson
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:16 EST
Connie West of Rachel NV via screencap

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay.  Buying property isn't against the law.  His views while unpopular to many are constitutional according to the SCOTUS.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe aliens will beam them up.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Aw look at you, always coming to the white supremist defense

Now who said their views were unconstitutional?

I didn't see that anywhere

I'm sure they are happy to have people like you going to bat for them

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Okay.  Buying property isn't against the law.  His views while unpopular to many are constitutional according to the SCOTUS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quoting SuzCahn:

Maybe aliens will beam them up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yah sure. But, even though he is protected by the Constitution ( where, in the Constitution?) do we have to be all politically correct and enable the bastard?

His views are more than just "unpopular".  Wearing a bikini in the winter while skiing is unpopular. Being a White Supremacist and wanting to create a Nazi enclave in the desert is......well, just evil. Why are you so unfazed by this guy , so accepting of his "Constitutionally protected" actions and so nasty about others such as  our President?  I am mystified.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone knows what happens in NV, STAYS in NV-

Looking4Truth
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

This is terrifying!  This guy needs to be locked up before he does some serious harm.  Anyway, what's going on with the Baptists?  First there is Westboro Baptist church, which is the sickest and most warped example of a church I've ever known, and now this racist psychopath with his whites only Baptist church!  What the heck!!  There should be a law against this, so evil can be stopped before it gets a foothold.  This guy is definitely evil.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Right....us Baptist are just awful. Seriously?!
Yet, if I were to make a blanket statement about islam you people would be out for blood.
Some nut cases who claim to be Baptist is a total joke.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

This is terrifying!  This guy needs to be locked up before he does some serious harm.  Anyway, what's going on with the Baptists?  First there is Westboro Baptist church, which is the sickest and most warped example of a church I've ever known, and now this racist psychopath with his whites only Baptist church!  What the heck!!  There should be a law against this, so evil can be stopped before it gets a foothold.  This guy is definitely evil.

Looking4Truth
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I am not commenting about ALL Baptists, so please don't take offense where none was intended.  I'm just a bit shocked that this makes 2 Baptist churches that are definitely not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I don't understand how they even have the right to call themselves Baptists.  I know for some faiths, you can't start a church and use their name unless you follow the same teachings and practices that the head church does.  It definitely used to be this way with the Methodists, because my dad was a Methodist pastor as well as an Assembly of God pastor.  Heck, in the AOG church, you can have pastors working there that are not AOG taught, but they aren't given any real title because they did not commit to the AOG faith.  THIS is what I meant by what's going on with the Baptists.  Perhaps I should have explained myself more clearly, but I did not intend any disrespect.  I myself am a Christian, and I've just never seen an affiliated church lean so far in the opposite direction of Christ's teachings.  It's a valid question.

Quoting codfish:

Right....us Baptist are just awful. Seriously?!
Yet, if I were to make a blanket statement about islam you people would be out for blood.
Some nut cases who claim to be Baptist is a total joke.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Della529
by Matlock on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I can't help but wonder how this conversation would go if the topic were "Black Supremicist Church buying up,,,"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)