Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Times' Powerful Front Page For Breast Cancer Story

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

The New York Times ran an arresting photo to accompany a front page story on Wednesday.

A story about the rising prevalence of gene mutations that cause breast cancer in Israel appeared on page A1. The photo above it was of the chest of a woman who found a lump in her breast, and showed her Star of David tattoo, her scar, and some of her nipple:

PHOTO:
new york times

(h/t Julie Bosman)

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I cannot the article because I am on my ph and the print is too small. And I am old.

Any explanation for the rise in the mutation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Sad that double mastectomies seem to be the first course of action
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Yes it's sad, but I'd do it in a heartbeat, with the family history I have? It seems to be the only way to possibly survive. I had my BRACA test Monday. Waiting and nervous. Found out yesterday my great Aunt, the 4th of five sisters of my grandma was given 1 to 6 weeks to live. When she passes, that will be 4/4 who have died breast or ovarian with breast cancer, and one that has thus far escaped it. That doesn't include cousins and second cousins who have it or have fought and died. It's on my dad's side so I'm not real optimistic. 

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Sad that double mastectomies seem to be the first course of action

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Glad I'm Sephardic atm. :/

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Y have case history that makes it seem the wise thing to do. I don't know if I'd do it if I had the mutation but not everyone around me was dying from it. The women interviewed all lost someone who's close but digging deeper, I see that all but for percent of women choose the double mastectomy.

Even with the mutation, I have a hard time believing that all of them would have gotten and died from breast cancer. I just don't know if we'd deal with men's health in that same way. If all of those numbers were men removing their testicles because of possible testicular cancer, I guarantee more would be done in terms of prevention because they would be so horrified to be slicing off healthy man bits. The first line of defense wouldn't be the knife is mainly what I'm saying if the victims weren't women.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:Yes it's sad, but I'd do it in a heartbeat, with the family history I have? It seems to be the only way to possibly survive. I had my BRACA test Monday. Waiting and nervous. Found out yesterday my great Aunt, the 4th of five sisters of my grandma was given 1 to 6 weeks to live. When she passes, that will be 4/4 who have died breast or ovarian with breast cancer, and one that has thus far escaped it. That doesn't include cousins and second cousins who have it or have fought and died. It's on my dad's side so I'm not real optimistic. 
Quoting AdrianneHill:Sad that double mastectomies seem to be the first course of action
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured