Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NJ bill would fine drivers for snacking, smoking behind the wheel

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

NJ bill would fine drivers for snacking, smoking behind the wheel

Drivers in New Jersey could possibly be pulled over for snacking, smoking or putting on make-up behind the wheel under a bill that has been advanced in the Assembly.

The proposed law would fine drivers found to "engage in any activity unrelated to the operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle."

The bill advanced by a 12-0 vote Monday in the Assembly's transportation committee. It does not spell out which activities would and would not be considered distracted driving, instead leaving that determination up to police.

New Jersey National Motorists Association representative Steve Carrellas tells The Star-Ledger that the proposal is too vague.

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:26 AM

dumbest bill ever.  This is a reason for police to pull over drivers to raise revenue or just harrass them.  Anyone seen with one hand off the wheel is enough to be fined...

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
A stupid bill, for sure.
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The a hole cops out here are going to have fun with this one.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, we need more reasons for them to stop us.

Sigh.....

Looking4Truth
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Well, in defense of this bill, it is dangerous to apply make-up while your driving because you have to look in your rear-view mirror to do so, or a compact.  As far as smoking goes, well, if you drop your lit cigarette in the car and are dumb enough to bend over and try to pick it up while you're driving, that is also dangerous and there have actually been accidents caused by this.  When it comes to eating though, I don't see a problem with that.  My hubby eats while he drives sometimes and he just keeps the food in his lap.  However, the cops are always looking for more ways to increase their revenue and this might just be their idea of making more money.  I just don't know about this one.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with putting on make up. the smoking one though i don't. smoking even in your scenario is not the problem its idiots that drop a cig and try to find it without pulling over.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Well, in defense of this bill, it is dangerous to apply make-up while your driving because you have to look in your rear-view mirror to do so, or a compact.  As far as smoking goes, well, if you drop your lit cigarette in the car and are dumb enough to bend over and try to pick it up while you're driving, that is also dangerous and there have actually been accidents caused by this.  When it comes to eating though, I don't see a problem with that.  My hubby eats while he drives sometimes and he just keeps the food in his lap.  However, the cops are always looking for more ways to increase their revenue and this might just be their idea of making more money.  I just don't know about this one.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Yep. The dropping the cig could also go for dropping your food or spilling your drink.

Quoting pixie92:

I agree with putting on make up. the smoking one though i don't. smoking even in your scenario is not the problem its idiots that drop a cig and try to find it without pulling over.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Looking4Truth
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM

That's what I was thinking about when I mentioned the smoking.  There have been accidents when someone carelessly drops a lit cigarette in the car and they stupidly bend down to pick it up while they're still driving.  I didn't mean smoking in general.  I should have been more clear.  Sorry about that.

Quoting pixie92:

Quoting Looking4Truth:

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I can understand why they would say that applying makeup while driving is hazardous and should be illegal. I can't believe how many times I have seen women trying to apply mascara while driving. You can't possibly be watching the road holding a wand by your eye.

As for smoking and eating that is just ridiculous. Yes, they are distractions but I highly doubt they cause many accidents.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I've seen people reading newspapers and brushing their teeth while driving, so yeah, there are some things you obviously shouldn't be doing. But this bill is ridiculous. What about fiddling with the radio? Or having a conversation with someone in the car? Or rolling your window up or down? It sounds like they could pull you over for pretty much anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured