Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Happy Thanksgiving and a different perspective

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM
  • 103 Replies
8 moms liked this

While many Americans spend today celebrating all we are thankful for, I just think we should also take a moment to acknowledge and pay respects to those who have a completely different perpective on this day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
One of the biggest myth and lies about America; is that the US committed genocide against Native Americans.

I wish people would stop spreading this lie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Where did all of the Natives go? This should be interesting.

Quoting Donna6503:

One of the biggest myth and lies about America; is that the US committed genocide against Native Americans.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm part Native and have never heard anything about this. My family is really into being Cherokee even though we had more ancestors on the Mayflower than Cherokee ancestors.
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The records are actually impossible to tally according to most historians.

We know a large extent of the Native population died to disease brought over by Europeans and that approximately 30,000 people were killed in wars. The numbers are not definitive however, so they could be much larger.

This is what I picked up from websites - not much else.

Quoting quickbooksworm:
Where did all of the Natives go? This should be interesting.
Quoting Donna6503:

mommaponch
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I personally celebrate Thanksgiving.  We spend the day eating and spending time with family and thinking about everything I am thankful for.  But, I do not tell my kids the story of the first thanksgiving.  I do the same with Columbus day, I enjoy my day off but we don't talk about that fake hero, and if we do it's to talk about the atrocities he commited.  My oldest did a report on Columbus a year ago and ever since you can't hear his name without her letting you know exactly the kind of monster he was. 

I can think about the suffering of those long ago and the ramifications for their descendants while still enjoying my turkey day!

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM
4 moms liked this
Wow. Just ... wow. I bet you do not think the Holocaust happened either

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Excuse me; the Holocaust was real, there was a systematic government order to kill off a group of people.

There was never such an order in this country to kill off a group of people based on being a Native American (or Indians, if you want to use such a term)

If you want to go back to the pilgrims; when they landed, they landed on a place where the village was vacant because the Natives Americans living there had died because of diseases.

Most Native Americans became apart of the society; that is the reason why most multi-generational Americans have some American Native blood with in themselves.

Now don't get me wrong; this country did indeed do harm (major) to Native Americans, there was even unjust wars. But, that isn't genocide and to use such a term demeans the real horrors found in the Holocaust or recent events of Rwanda.

Believe it or not; the French Catholic priests nor Dutch Protestants missionaries didn't use AK-47 to convert Native Americans.

Yes, diseases (not just smallpox) had a major impact in the Western World's native population. But that isn't a reason to hollow out the spirit of Thanksgivings nor is it an excuse to lie about it for political (in)correctness.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Nobody is hollowing out Thanksgiving, Drama Queen. Acknowledging that Native Americans are not all as enamoured of this day is not hollowing anything out.

Quoting Donna6503:

Excuse me; the Holocaust was real, there was a systematic government order to kill off a group of people.

There was never such an order in this country to kill off a group of people based on being a Native American (or Indians, if you want to use such a term)

If you want to go back to the pilgrims; when they landed, they landed on a place where the village was vacant because the Natives Americans living there had died because of diseases.

Most Native Americans became apart of the society; that is the reason why most multi-generational Americans have some American Native blood with in themselves.

Now don't get me wrong; this country did indeed do harm (major) to Native Americans, there was even unjust wars. But, that isn't genocide and to use such a term demeans the real horrors found in the Holocaust or recent events of Rwanda.

Believe it or not; the French Catholic priests nor Dutch Protestants missionaries didn't use AK-47 to convert Native Americans.

Yes, diseases (not just smallpox) had a major impact in the Western World's native population. But that isn't a reason to hollow out the spirit of Thanksgivings nor is it an excuse to lie about it for political (in)correctness.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

you are severely misinformed on this topic

Quoting Donna6503:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Donna6503:

Excuse me; the

THE 

REAL  

STORY OF THANKSGIVING

by Susan Bates

Most of us associate the holiday with happy Pilgrims and Indians sitting down to a big feast.  And that did happen - once. 

The story began in 1614 when a band of English explorers sailed home to  England with a ship full of Patuxet Indians bound for slavery. They left behind smallpox which virtually wiped out those who had escaped.  By the time the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts Bay they found only one living Patuxet Indian, a man named Squanto who had survived slavery in England and knew their language.  He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags. 

But as word spread in England about the paradise to be found in the new world, religious zealots called Puritans began arriving by the boat load. Finding no fences around the land, they considered it to be in the public domain. Joined by other British settlers, they seized land, capturing strong young Natives for slaves and killing the rest.  But the Pequot Nation had not agreed to the peace treaty Squanto had negotiated and they fought back. The Pequot War was one of the bloodiest Indian wars ever fought.  

In 1637 near present day  Groton, Connecticut, over 700 men, women and children of the Pequot Tribe had gathered for their annual Green Corn Festival which is our Thanksgiving celebration. In the predawn hours the sleeping Indians were surrounded by English and Dutch mercenaries who ordered them to come outside.  Those who came out were shot or clubbed to death while the terrified women and children who huddled inside the longhouse were burned alive. The next day the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony declared "A Day Of Thanksgiving" because 700 unarmed men, women and children had been murdered.

Cheered by their "victory", the brave colonists and their Indian allies attacked village after village. Women and children over 14 were sold into slavery while the rest were murdered.  Boats loaded with a many as 500 slaves regularly left the ports of New England. Bounties were paid for Indian scalps to encourage as many deaths as possible.   

Following an especially successful raid against the Pequot in what is now  Stamford, Connecticut, the churches announced a second day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the heathen savages.  During the feasting, the hacked off heads of Natives were kicked through the streets like soccer balls.  Even the friendly Wampanoag did not escape the madness. Their chief was beheaded, and his head impaled on a pole in Plymouth, Massachusetts -- where it remained on display for 24 years.   

The killings became more and more frenzied, with days of thanksgiving feasts being held after each successful massacre. George Washington finally suggested that only one day of Thanksgiving per year be set aside instead of celebrating each and every massacre. Later Abraham Lincoln decreed Thanksgiving Day to be a legal national holiday during the Civil War -- on the same day he ordered troops to march against the starving Sioux in Minnesota.

This story doesn't have quite the same fuzzy feelings associated with it as the one where the Indians and Pilgrims are all sitting down together at the big feast.  But we need to learn our true history so it won't ever be repeated.  Next  Thanksgiving, when you gather with your loved ones to Thank God for all your blessings, think about those people who only wanted to live their lives and raise their families.  They, also took time out to say "thank you" to Creator for all their blessings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN