Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

African-American Girl Faces Expulsion for Her Natural Hair - Whose side are you on?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 110 Replies

African-American Girl Faces Expulsion for Her Natural Hair (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

Vanessa VanDyke

Ugh. I H-A-T-E hearing stuff like this. A 12-year-old African-American girl may be expelled from school if she does not cut her hair, which she chooses to wear in a natural style as opposed to straightening it.

Vanessa VanDyke attends Faith Christian Academy in Orlando. The officials at the school have given her one week to either cut and shape her hair or they will kick her out of school. Yes ... for reals.

Did I mention that she's attended this school since she was in the third grade -- and her hair has only recently become an issue?

Yeah, well just wait until you hear what started this whole mess.

According to Vanessa, students started teasing her about her "puffy" hair, so her family complained to the school. And then all of a sudden, she's now in violation of the dress code -- and her hair is considered a "distraction" to other students.

Take a look at this video to hear more of the story.

Um, I'm sorry -- but I just don't see anything wrong with how this beautiful, smart, mature little girl wears her hair. Sure, it's a little "bigger" than most girls her age, but would I go so far as to view it as a distraction? No way. I actually think the style looks really cute on her -- especially with that sweet yellow bow tucked into one side of her hair.

More from The Stir: Dad Pulls 7-Year-Old Out of School Because They Don't Approve of Her Hair (VIDEO)

And doesn't the fact that Vanessa is an honors student mean anything to the administrators at her school? She obviously cares a great deal about her education, so why do they feel it necessary to take that away from her simply because they don't like her hair?!?

I also feel so bad for her mother, because the last thing any parent wants is to see her child ridiculed for the way she looks. She's absolutely doing the right thing by standing up for Vanessa and allowing her to keep her hair the way it is instead of giving in to the school's wishes. 

And even if she does choose to cut it to conform to their standards -- the damage is already done. How is she supposed to be happy and thrive in a school that places so much emphasis on her appearance?

This is just sad. It would be different if her locks were neon yellow or worn in a mohawk or something like that -- but this is her natural hair.

But maybe this is a blessing in disguise, and Vanessa will wind up in another school that is more accepting of her. One thing's for sure, if she leaves, it will be Faith Christian Academy's loss ... not hers.

Whose side are you on -- the school's or Vanessa's?

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I just wish that she would comb it. I can see how it can be distracting but expulsion, that's a bit much.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
4 moms liked this
This is just like that story of the girl who got kicked out of school for wearing locs. I think its ridiculous and I am sure that the school could find other things that need their attention. When my one son does not have his hair cornrowed he wears it in a natural curly afro. The other has locs. Both are AA hairstyles that are only a distraction to kids who are LOOKING for something to distract them. Give me a break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this
It is combed. That is exactly what my sons hair looks like when it is combed out.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just wish that she would comb it. I can see how it can be distracting but expulsion, that's a bit much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJsMom81507
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM

black white yellow orange green, if it violates school codes then she needs to go, she is also attending a PRIVATE school, so they have say.  they are trying to make it a race war.  ughhhhh

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not send my daughter to school looking like that. If she wants it big I would style it to look nice.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

It is combed. That is exactly what my sons hair looks like when it is combed out.

Quoting Citygirlk:

lga1965
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I am definitely on Vanessa's side! She is a pretty little girl. WHy they think they can dictate what her hair should look like is amazing...must be the wishes of  some uptight "clutching pearls" type of people? I bet if she was attendng a Public School, nobody would tell her how to wear her hair. Here is an example of why I would never have sent my kids to a Private School.

And she is an Honors Student! The school is stupid.

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

She looks beautiful. The school is wrong.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

But this only became a problem when her mom complained about her getting bullied for her hair.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

black white yellow orange green, if it violates school codes then she needs to go, she is also attending a PRIVATE school, so they have say.  they are trying to make it a race war.  ughhhhh

lga1965
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

PS

You know what I think is so much worse? Mullets and mohawks ! And neon hair !

But they also should be free to wear their hair that way....even if I think they are all horrible ways to wear hair ( it isn't up to me..LOL )

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
That's your opinion. I think my son's hair looks great no matter what style he wears it in as long as it is clean. I think she is a beautiful little girl with a beautiful hairstyle.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I would not send my daughter to school looking like that. If she wants it big I would style it to look nice.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN