Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Christian school backs off expulsion threat to bullied African-American girl

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 250 Replies
1 mom liked this

Christian school backs off expulsion threat to bullied African-American girl over ‘natural' hair

By David Ferguson
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 15:30 EST
Vanessa VanDyke via screencap

A Christian school in Orlando, Florida, told a 12-year-old African-American girl and her family that she must change her naturally curly, voluminous hair to a more conventional style or face expulsion from school.

According to Eyewitness 10 News, when seventh-grader Vanessa VanDyke reported to school officials that she was being bullied and harassed by other students, they issued her an ultimatum.

Administrators told the girl that she had one week to choose between cutting and straightening her hair or leaving the school that she has attended since third grade.

But after the case made international news Tuesday, school officials relented and told the girl she could keep her hairstyle.

The preteen told Channel 6 that she's proud of her hair.

"It says that I'm unique," VanDyke said. "First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it's not straight. I don't fit in."

School officials had apparently decided that the little girl's hair poses a danger to the learning  process.

"Hair must be a natural color and must not be a distraction," reads the school's student handbook. Hairstyles like mohawks, "rat tails" and shaved designs are forbidden. The handbook itself, however, says nothing about natural or African-American hair.

School administrators had told Vanessa VanDyke to "change (her) hair or get out" rather than deal with the children who harassed her.

"There have been bullies in the school," said the girl's mother, Sabrina Kent. "There have been people teasing her about her hair, and it seems to me that they're blaming her." 

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heath394
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

bump

heath394
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

bump

1stpreggers
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM
They're enforcing the rule to stop the teasing. It's easier to fix her hair then try to stop people from picking picked on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
7 moms liked this
They never should have asked her to change her hair. Natural hair should be encouraged (for all hair types).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heath394
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

bump

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM
5 moms liked this
Natural hair should never be a violation of dress code. Kids shouldn't be forced to process their hair.
autumn129
by AutumLeaves on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

She has beautiful hair.

autumn129
by AutumLeaves on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Quoting jllcali:

Natural hair should never be a violation of dress code. Kids shouldn't be forced to process their hair.

true.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
6 moms liked this
That's unacceptable. That is condoning and reinforcing asshole behavior. It's her natural hair, which should not be a violation of a dress code.

Quoting 1stpreggers:

They're enforcing the rule to stop the teasing. It's easier to fix her hair then try to stop people from picking picked on her.
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Good. Natural hair can't be against a dress code.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured