Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student Sets Teacher Gabriela Peñalba On Fire: Police

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:44 AM
  • 51 Replies

Student Sets Teacher Gabriela Peñalba On Fire: Police

Student Sets Teacher on fire

A Tennessee high school teacher was set on fire by one of her students, cops said.

WATE reports that Gabriela Penalba, 23, turned her back to her class on Monday morning at West High School in Knoxville when a 15-year-old male student set her hair and shirt ablaze using his lighter, police said.

Students quickly put the fire out.

Gawker notes that the student allegedly "exploited the commotion" by throwing the lighter out the window and fleeing before being captured by police.

The quick thinking of her students helped Penalba avoid any burns, according to WBIR.

The student faces aggravated assault and evading arrest charges.

His name has not been released because he's a minor and has not been charged as an adult.

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this
What the hell is going on with society??
I know I will anger many atheists with this statement, but I think our kids are missing God in their lives and are also not being taught right from wrong.
I am not saying that we should have God in schools, but we need to start at home and get churches involved more in our communities. Something needs to be done
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think God or the lack of God has anything to do with it. It doesn't take religion to teach morals and standards by which to live, and I think that is what is missing. I also think they're are many other factors that play into it. There is no one thing that will fix anything.

Quoting billsfan1104:What the hell is going on with society??
I know I will anger many atheists with this statement, but I think our kids are missing God in their lives and are also not being taught right from wrong.
I am not saying that we should have God in schools, but we need to start at home and get churches involved more in our communities. Something needs to be done
Bethsunshine
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM
What is wrong with people?!?
billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I also said that teaching right from wrong is not being taught. Did you read that part??

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I don't think God or the lack of God has anything to do with it. It doesn't take religion to teach morals and standards by which to live, and I think that is what is missing. I also think they're are many other factors that play into it. There is no one thing that will fix anything.

Quoting billsfan1104:What the hell is going on with society??

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

But, but, but...his mom and grandma will say he is such a good boy.  Nothing like this would ever happen from him.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Why in the hell did a 15 yr old have a lighter anyway? Gods, parents are starting to fail now.. 

I wonder if they are letting their kids get away with stuff they wouldn't have gotten away with as children? that's all I can think of. Parents rebelling against their upbringing... o.O

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, something needs to be done.  I agree many kids are missing God in their lives and they are not being taught right from wrong.

Quoting billsfan1104:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM
8 moms liked this

I don't know that it has anything to do with God or lackthereof. I can really only speak about what I teach my own BUT it never occurred to me to say to my kids "it's not ok to set people on fire." Most "normal" people are built with an inherent set of morals who know setting people on fire is wrong. We've got a really big problem with anger in this country and it's starting younger and younger. We all better quit arguing with each other and get our shit together.

Quoting billsfan1104:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Scary.

I read these stories and I try to imagine something like this happening at my daughter's middle school.

I can see it.  One particular kid comes to mind.  He is in the 8th grade, for the second time.  He thinks he is a bad ass because he is older than the others.  He has been in trouble so many times.  He is aggressive, violent and an all around horrible kid.

I don't know all of the particulars but often times I have wondered why the school has not expelled him.  

He set fires out in town.  Small but fires nonetheless.

He gets off on every one knowing who he is.  His parents are no better.  They act as if their son is 'only being a boy with a lot of energy'.  That is a quote from them at one point.  This apple did not fall from the tree but damn if it did not fall hard enough to be bruised.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I have school teachers in my family, and they happen to look a lot like this gal and the now deceased victim of Chism's.

This is enraging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN