Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio animal rights activist kills herself, 31 rescue dogs, police say

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ohio animal rights activist kills herself, 31 rescue dogs, police say By Haley Draznin,

CNN updated 9:02 PM EST, Sun November 10, 2013 STORY HIGHLIGHTS Founder of Animal Rights Foundation found dead in running car with 31 rescue dogs Investigators found prescription vials in the vehicle and a suicide note inside the house One dog survived and is recovering at home with founder's husband and son (CNN) -- The founder of an animal rescue organization in Ohio committed suicide, taking dozens of pets with her, the Moreland Hills Police Department told CNN. Sandy Lertzman, 62, founder of the Animal Rights Foundation, was found dead November 4 inside her garage in a running car alongside 31 small rescue dogs, police said. Investigators found prescription vials in the vehicle and a suicide note inside the house. According to Sgt. Janet Boehler, a friend discovered Lertzman's body. It is unclear how long Lertzman and the pets had been dead before they were found. Lertzman was last seen alive November 3. Family rescues dog that was shot Cop finds dog tied up, giving birth Rescue dogs help save flood victims An organization that rescues and rehabilitates all types of animals, Animal Rights Foundation considered Lertzman a pioneer in animal rescue. "She woke every day to help all of God's beautiful creatures. She fed the deer, squirrels, birds, raccoons, geese and what she called 'Sandy's Safe Haven For All Animals' at her home,'" a statement on the Animal Rights Foundation website said. According to Boehler, one dog survived. Police say it jumped out of the car, and they found it in garage when they entered the home. The surviving dog is recovering at home with Lertzman's husband, Rick, and son, Matthew. "Animal Rights Foundation will continue, as strong as ever, in Sandy's memory," the organization said on the website. "We will go on caring, supporting, and helping all animals in distress and supporting laws to protect our animals in her honor."

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this. Animal rescues attract some of the kindest people, but there are also a number of unstable folks attracted to the work, it seems. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM
So sad
jllcali
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Those poor dogs! She made a decision to end her life and it's tragic for her family, but those dogs didn't consent. And surely they did not all need to be euthanized, so why take them with her?
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing it's a case of, "no one can take as good care of them as I can" mentality.  I wonder if she was a hoarder in the guise of a rescue. 

Unless there's further info, we'll probably never know for sure.

Quoting jllcali:

Those poor dogs! She made a decision to end her life and it's tragic for her family, but those dogs didn't consent. And surely they did not all need to be euthanized, so why take them with her?

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

How tragic.

Gerbert007
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Sad.IMO way too many of these animal rights whackos are hypocrites.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Yeah. Wacky. I'm surprised she fit them all in the car. Thirty one? Should have been thirty two. I wonder what the trigger was.
jllcali
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I'm guessing it was that as well.

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'm guessing it's a case of, "no one can take as good care of them as I can" mentality.  I wonder if she was a hoarder in the guise of a rescue. 

Unless there's further info, we'll probably never know for sure.

Quoting jllcali:

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I'm sorry for her husband and son.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well, that will teach them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN